From: sugarbug...@mail.ru (sugarbug)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.help
Subject: rslight - how to block all messages with name in path?
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2023 01:42:50 -0500
logging-data="7940"; mail-complaints-to="usenet@novabbs.org"
 by: sugarbug - Wed, 22 Mar 2023 06:42 UTC

It seems the most effective method to eliminate the lion's share of
spam is to block and refuse to take messages with certain server names
in their path. For example blocking google groups 'google' in the
path would eliminate a huge amount of spam. I do this in my NNTP
clients with filters and most of the spam never makes it to my reader.

I would like to extrapolate this to RocksolidLight. Is there way to list
prohibited paths one per line in a configuration file and have the
software exclude messages during synchronization? Or is there a
workaround?

The idea is that when a bad actor is found allowing spam I could run a
simple command:

$> echo "google" >> rocksolid/killfiles/killfile.paths.list

Then the server would reject or scrub any message containing
'google' in the Path: header of messages so it never touches the
local server or disk and is never forwarded to another peer.

Is there a current workaround for this sort of operation? Let me know
if there is anything I might try.

Of course this suggests related ideas:

killfile.emails.list -> reject article from listed email address
killfile.names.list -> reject article with $name in From: header
killfile.keywords.body.list -> reject article with $keyword in body
killfile.{$headername}.list -> regex arbitrary header for keywords

--

SugarBug

Re: rslight - how to block all messages with name in path?

<ab6afa3037912e6129bccb517c009497@news.novabbs.org>

 copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=252&group=rocksolid.nodes.help#252

From: retro....@rocksolidbbs.com (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.help
Subject: Re: rslight - how to block all messages with name in
path?
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2023 16:42:44 +0000
 by: Retro Guy - Wed, 22 Mar 2023 16:42 UTC

sugarbug wrote:

> It seems the most effective method to eliminate the lion's share of
> spam is to block and refuse to take messages with certain server names
> in their path. For example blocking google groups 'google' in the
> path would eliminate a huge amount of spam. I do this in my NNTP
> clients with filters and most of the spam never makes it to my reader.

Yes, blocking a troublesome server can be helpful. I would suggest making
sure from the PATH line that the message originated at that server, and
didn't just pass through it.

> I would like to extrapolate this to RocksolidLight. Is there way to list
> prohibited paths one per line in a configuration file and have the
> software exclude messages during synchronization? Or is there a
> workaround?

> The idea is that when a bad actor is found allowing spam I could run a
> simple command:

> $> echo "google" >> rocksolid/killfiles/killfile.paths.list

> Then the server would reject or scrub any message containing
> 'google' in the Path: header of messages so it never touches the
> local server or disk and is never forwarded to another peer.

> Is there a current workaround for this sort of operation? Let me know
> if there is anything I might try.

> Of course this suggests related ideas:

> killfile.emails.list -> reject article from listed email address
> killfile.names.list -> reject article with $name in From: header
> killfile.keywords.body.list -> reject article with $keyword in body
> killfile.{$headername}.list -> regex arbitrary header for keywords

rslight does this for posters (From:) in /etc/rslight/banned_names.conf
and this could pretty easily be done for other headers (PATH:, etc.).

Right now I do most of this with spamassassin, for which I wrote a script
to call SA for incoming messages (and posted messages). SA local.cf needs
to be heavily modified to work with for Usenet as opposed to Email.

I can work on these 'killfile' files in the future, but I need to finish
working on manual new user review mod first. Once that's done, I can
get on to new mods.

--
Retro Guy