"To YOU I'm an atheist; to God, I'm the Loyal Opposition." -- Woody Allen

computers / rocksolid.nodes.help / Re: [partly solved] rslite - section in config not displaying on site.

SubjectAuthor
* rslite - section in config not displaying on site.sugarbug
+* [partly solved] rslite - section in config not displaying onsugarbug
|`- [partly solved] rslite - section in config not displaying on site.Retro Guy
`- rslite - section in config not displaying on site.Retro Guy

1
rslite - section in config not displaying on site.

<tvhauc$oit$1@novabbs.org>

 copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=256&group=rocksolid.nodes.help#256

From: sugarbug...@mail.ru (sugarbug)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.help
Subject: rslite - section in config not displaying on site.
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2023 05:51:11 -0500
logging-data="25181"; mail-complaints-to="usenet@novabbs.org"
 by: sugarbug - Thu, 23 Mar 2023 10:51 UTC

I added a second grouping in /etc/rslight/crypto/groups.txt

:/etc/rslight$ cat crypto/groups.txt
:crypto newsgroups ...
alt.cypherpunks
alt.bitcoins
alt.anonymous

Note: in one later iteration I tried with crypto/ as subdir of
rocksolid/ but that didn't work either, so I switched it back.

I added the link in menu.conf

:/etc/rslight$ cat menu.conf
# List of sections in Rocksolid Light
# Each name must correspond to a directory in
# your web path that is an rslight install
# # There are three items in each line
# 0=no, 1=yes:
# # First = section name
# Second = display link in header?
# Third = enable local spool for this section?
# # spoolnews is an internal spool handler for all sections:
# and should almost always be 'spoolnews:0:1'
spoolnews:0:1
# # Add your sections below:
rocksolid:1:1
crypto:1:1

Here is more config data:

:/etc/rslight$ ls rocksolid/
encryption_ok.txt groups.txt

:/etc/rslight$ cat rocksolid/groups.txt
:Rocksolid newsgroups...
rocksolid.nodes.help Questions and Help for node administration.

:/etc/rslight$ ls crypto/
groups.txt

I ran the cron.

cd /var/www/html/spoolnews/ && sudo bash -lc "php
/etc/rslight/scripts/cron.php"

No luck. The crypto link on the index.php gives 404 page.

I rebooted and ran the cron. I restarted
apache and ran the cron. None of this shows up in the php site. I get a
button for 'rocksolid' and that lists the rocksolid threads. When I
click on 'crypto' I get error 404.

And there still is the matter that index.php does not show any threads
at all. Here is the entire text from the index.php:

------------------------------------
News Forum

mail files register nodelist faq login

rocksolid
crypto
{{{{ fortune cookie redacted }}}}
rocksolid
overboard
search
Latest Newsgroup Messages Last Message

{{{{ nothing whatsoever here between header and footer }}}}

There is currently 1 user online
Total messages: 925
rocksolid light 0.7.2
clearneti2ptor
------------------------------------

More data from /var/spool/rslite:

:/etc/rslight$ cat /var/spool/rslight/rocksolid/local_groups.txt
rocksolid.shared.encryption
rocksolid.shared.entertainment
rocksolid.shared.freenet
rocksolid.shared.general
rocksolid.shared.hacking
rocksolid.shared.helpdesk
rocksolid.shared.i2p
rocksolid.shared.linux
rocksolid.shared.news
rocksolid.nodes
rocksolid.nodes.help:256
rocksolid.nodes.announce
rocksolid.shared.offtopic
rocksolid.programming
rocksolid.shared.rocksolid
rocksolid.shared.security
rocksolid.social
rocksolid.shared.test
rocksolid.shared.tor
alt.cypherpunks:41
alt.bitcoins:28
alt.anonymous:47

I want to have sections with a chosen name.

I want chosen newsgroups to show in those sections.

I want index page to list threads / sections like novabbs.org shows.

That's all I know at this point. My brain is getting numb. At this
point I am exaspirated. Where to begin?

--

SugarBug

Re: [partly solved] rslite - section in config not displaying on site.

<tvhem4$6n1$1@novabbs.org>

 copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=257&group=rocksolid.nodes.help#257

From: sugarbug...@mail.ru (sugarbug)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.help
Subject: Re: [partly solved] rslite - section in config not displaying on
site.
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2023 06:55:09 -0500
logging-data="6881"; mail-complaints-to="usenet@novabbs.org"
 by: sugarbug - Thu, 23 Mar 2023 11:55 UTC

On Thu, 23 Mar 2023 05:51:11 -0500
sugarbug <sugarbug3883@mail.ru> wrote:

<truncated>

In /var/www/html I copied all files in /var/www/html/rocksolid to
/var/www/html/crypto. Then the 'crypto' section showed up on the
website properly, with the test newsgroups listed on the site.

Do I need to copy all the php files to a folder named after
every new section added? Or is there a way to do re-writes in .htaccess
or php.ini?

The main 'rocksolid' page is still blank and lists no groups as
detailed in the previous message.

I need some expert advice at this point. I'm stumped.

Re: rslite - section in config not displaying on site.

<2e277bf1a66039238278739d2edb3af6@news.novabbs.org>

 copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=258&group=rocksolid.nodes.help#258

From: retro....@rocksolidbbs.com (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.help
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2023 14:33:53 +0000
 by: Retro Guy - Thu, 23 Mar 2023 14:33 UTC

sugarbug wrote:

> I added a second grouping in /etc/rslight/crypto/groups.txt

> :/etc/rslight$ cat crypto/groups.txt
> :crypto newsgroups ...
> alt.cypherpunks
> alt.bitcoins
> alt.anonymous

> Note: in one later iteration I tried with crypto/ as subdir of
> rocksolid/ but that didn't work either, so I switched it back.

> I added the link in menu.conf

> :/etc/rslight$ cat menu.conf
> # List of sections in Rocksolid Light
> # Each name must correspond to a directory in
> # your web path that is an rslight install
> #
> # There are three items in each line
> # 0=no, 1=yes:
> #
> # First = section name
> # Second = display link in header?
> # Third = enable local spool for this section?
> #
> # spoolnews is an internal spool handler for all sections:
> # and should almost always be 'spoolnews:0:1'
> spoolnews:0:1
> #
> # Add your sections below:
> rocksolid:1:1
> crypto:1:1

This part I really want to improve, but it's necessary right now:

Go to /var/www/html
mkdir crypto
cd crypto
ln -s ../rocksolid/* .

> That's all I know at this point. My brain is getting numb. At this
> point I am exaspirated. Where to begin?

Sorry it's a bit odd, but that's how it works right now. Should be okay
once the symlink is in place.

--
Retro Guy

Re: [partly solved] rslite - section in config not displaying on site.

<dc2bef3f1d06e1f7989f267a67549e00@news.novabbs.org>

 copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=259&group=rocksolid.nodes.help#259

From: retro....@rocksolidbbs.com (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.help
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2023 15:37:38 +0000
 by: Retro Guy - Thu, 23 Mar 2023 15:37 UTC

sugarbug wrote:

> On Thu, 23 Mar 2023 05:51:11 -0500
> sugarbug <sugarbug3883@mail.ru> wrote:

> <truncated>

> In /var/www/html I copied all files in /var/www/html/rocksolid to
> /var/www/html/crypto. Then the 'crypto' section showed up on the
> website properly, with the test newsgroups listed on the site.

Sounds good. A symlink works just fine also, and is better for upgrades
as only /var/www/html/rocksolid would be updated.

> Do I need to copy all the php files to a folder named after
> every new section added? Or is there a way to do re-writes in .htaccess
> or php.ini?

You need to have actual copy (or symlink) for now.

> The main 'rocksolid' page is still blank and lists no groups as
> detailed in the previous message.

If you click 'Overboard', do messages show in the list? If so, and you
click on one, does it display the message as expected? Are all messages
there available through the NNTP server?

rslight still uses plenty of Newsportal code for the interface, and it's
possible that the NP databases are messed up from the original problem
with no php-gd.

If the problem is only with the groups list (the list after you click
Rocksolid section at top of screen), try deleting:
/var/spool/rslight/rocksolid-groups.dat the wait a while as cron runs
regularly to see if it fixes the issue.

To clean all NP files, delete the following from /var/spool/rslight/:
*.dat
*.txt
*.html

--