From: use...@novabbs.org (rslight rss feeds)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.feeds.tech
Subject: Planet Debian
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2021 04:50:04 +0000
 by: rslight rss feeds - Fri, 3 Dec 2021 04:50 UTC

Jonathan McDowell: Building a desktop to improve my work/life balance
https://www.earth.li/~noodles/blog/2021/12/desktop-work-life-balance.html
December 2, 2021, 8:00 PM
It’s been over 20 months since the first COVID lockdown kicked in here in Northern Ireland and I started working from home. Even when the strict lockdown was lifted the advice here has continued to be “If you can work from home you should work from home”. I’ve been into the office here and there (for new starts given you need to hand over a laptop and sort out some login details it’s generally easier to do so in person, and I’ve had a couple of whiteboard sessions that needed the hig...
--------------------
Paul Tagliamonte: Processing IQ data formats (Part 1/5) 🐀
https://k3xec.com/packrat-processing-iq/
December 2, 2021, 5:00 PM
🐀 This post is part of a series called "PACKRAT". If this is the first post
you've found, it'd be worth reading the
intro post first and then looking over
all posts in the series.
When working with SDRs, information about the signals your radio is receiving
are communicated by streams of
IQ
data. IQ is short for “In-phase” and “Quadrature”, which means 90 degrees
out of phase. Values in the IQ stream are commonly treated as
complex numbers because it
helps greatly when processing the...
--------------------
Paul Tagliamonte: Intro to PACKRAT (Part 0/5) 🐀
https://k3xec.com/packrat-intro/
December 2, 2021, 4:00 PM
Hello! Welcome. I’m so thrilled you’re here.
Some of you may know this (as I’ve written about in the past), but if you’re
new to my RF travels, I’ve spent nights and weekends over the last two years
doing some self directed learning on how radios work. I’ve gone from a very
basic understanding of wireless communications, all the way through the process
of learning about and implementing a set of libraries to modulate and
demodulate data using my now formidable stash of
SDRs. I’ve b...
--------------------
Steve Kemp: It has been some time..
https://blog.steve.fi/it_has_been_some_time__.html
December 2, 2021, 3:00 PM
I realize it has been quite some time since I last made a blog-post, so I guess the short version is "I'm still alive", or as Granny Weatherwax would have said:
I ATE'NT DEAD
Of course if I die now this would be an awkward post!
I can't think of anything terribly interesting I've been doing recently, mostly being settled in my new flat and tinkering away with things. The latest "new" code was something for controlling mpd via a web-browser:
https://github.com/skx/mpd-web
This is a simp...
--------------------
Dirk Eddelbuettel: drat 0.2.2 on CRAN: Package Maintenance
http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com/blog/2021/12/02#drat_0.2.2
December 2, 2021, 1:33 PM
A fresh and new minor release of drat arrived on CRAN overnight. This is another small update relative to the 0.2.0 release in April followed by a 0.2.1 update in July. This release follows the changes made in digest yesterday. We removed the YAML file (and badge) for the disgraced former continuous integration service we shall not name (yet that we all used to use). And we converted the vignette from using the minidown package to the (fairly new) simplermarkdown package which is so much more ap...
--------------------
Junichi Uekawa: December.
http://www.netfort.gr.jp/~dancer/diary/daily/2021-Dec-2.html.en#2021-Dec-2-08:56:22
December 1, 2021, 11:56 PM

--------------------
Thorsten Alteholz: My Debian Activities in November 2021
http://blog.alteholz.eu/2021/12/my-debian-activities-in-november-2021/
December 1, 2021, 3:33 PM
FTP master
This month I accepted 564 and rejected 93 packages. The overall number of packages that got accepted was 591.
Debian LTS
This was my eighty-ninth month that I did some work for the Debian LTS initiative, started by Raphael Hertzog at Freexian.
This month my all in all workload has been 40h. During that time I did LTS and normal security uploads of:
[DLA 2820-1] atftp security update for two CVEs
[DLA 2821-1] axis security update for one CVE
[DLA 2822-1] netkit-rsh security update for...
--------------------
Dirk Eddelbuettel: digest 0.6.29 on CRAN: Package Maintenance
http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com/blog/2021/12/01#digest_0.6.29
December 1, 2021, 12:31 PM
Release 0.6.29 of the digest package arrived at CRAN earlier today, and will be uploaded Debian shortly.
digest creates hash digests of arbitrary R objects (using the md5, sha-1, sha-256, sha-512, crc32, xxhash32, xxhash64, murmur32, spookyhash, and blake3 algorithms) permitting easy comparison of R language objects. It is a mature and widely-used as many tasks may involve caching of objects for which it provides convenient general-purpose hash key generation.
This release only contains two smal...
--------------------
Russ Allbery: Review: A World Without Email
https://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/reviews/books/0-525-53657-4.html
December 1, 2021, 5:07 AM
Review: A World Without Email, by Cal Newport

Publisher:
Portfolio/Penguin

Copyright:
2021

ISBN:
0-525-53657-4

Format:
Kindle

Pages:
264

A World Without Email is the latest book by computer science
professor and productivity writer Cal Newport. After a detour to comment
on the drawbacks of social media in Digital Minimalism, Newport is back to writing about focus and
concentration in the vein of Deep Work.
This time, thou...
--------------------
Paul Wise: FLOSS Activities November 2021
http://bonedaddy.net/pabs3/log/2021/12/01/floss-activities/
December 1, 2021, 2:52 AM
Focus
This month I didn't have any particular focus.
I just worked on issues in my info bubble.
Changes
crazydiskinfo:
cleanup
plac:
cleanup
mpv-mpris:
cleanup
(1
2)
purple-discord:
cleanup
yt-dlp:
add
RTRFM,
Blogger,
ABC iView show/series
extractors
gensim:
reenable test dep,
use PATH too
whohas:
https
devscripts:
bts CC improvements
Debian package uploads:
sptag,
purple-discord,
uvloop
Debian wiki pages:
AndroidTools,
ChrootOnAndroid,
DebianBookworm,
DebianHams/Handbook,
DebianKernel/Users...
--------------------
Russell Coker: Links November 2021
https://etbe.coker.com.au/2021/11/30/links-november-2021/
November 30, 2021, 1:31 PM
The Guardian has an amusing article by Sophie Elmhirst about Libertarians buying a cruise ship to make a “seasteading” project off the coast of Panama [1]. It turns out that you need permits etc to do this and maintaining a ship is expensive. Also you wouldn’t want to mine cryptocurrency in a ship cabin as most cabins are small and don’t have enough airconditioning to remain pleasant if you dump 1kW or more into the air.
NPR has an interesting article about the reaction of the NRA to the...
--------------------
Steinar H. Gunderson: Commitcoin
http://blog.sesse.net/blog/tech/2021-11-30-12-00_commitcoin.html
November 30, 2021, 11:00 AM
How do you get a git commit with an interesting commit ID (or “SHA”)?
Of course, interesting is in the eye of the beholder, but let's define
it as having many repeated hex nibbles, e.g. “000” in the commit would
be somewhat interesting and “8888888888888888888888888” would be very
interesting. This is pretty similar to the dreaded cryptocoin mining;
we have no simple way of forcing a given SHA-1 hash unless someone
manages a complete second-preimage break, so we must brute-force.
(An...
--------------------
Russell Coker: Your Device Has Been Improved
https://etbe.coker.com.au/2021/11/30/your-device-has-been-improved/
November 30, 2021, 9:41 AM
I’ve just started a Samsung tablet downloading a 770MB update, the description says:
Overall stability of your device has been improved
The security of your device has been improved
Technically I have no doubt that both those claims are true and accurate. But according to common understanding of the English language I think they are both misleading.
By “stability improved” they mean “fixed some bugs that made it unstable” and no technical person would imagine that after a certain n...
--------------------
Evgeni Golov: Getting access to somebody else's Ansible Galaxy namespace
https://www.die-welt.net/2021/11/getting-access-to-somebody-elses-ansible-galaxy-namespace/
November 29, 2021, 8:00 AM
TL;DR: adding features after the fact is hard, normalizing names is hard, it's patched, carry on.
I promise, the longer version is more interesting and fun to read!
Recently, I was poking around Ansible Galaxy and almost accidentally got access to someone else's namespace. I was actually looking for something completely different, but accidental finds are the best ones!
If you're asking yourself: "what the heck is he talking about?!", let's slow down for a moment:
Ansible is a great automation ...
--------------------
Dima Kogan: GL_image_display
http://notes.secretsauce.net/notes/2021/11/28_glimagedisplay.html
November 29, 2021, 7:53 AM
I just spent an unspeakable number of days typing to produce something that
sounds very un-impressive: an FLTK widget that can display an image. The docs
and code live here. The big difference from the usual image-drawing widget is
that this one uses OpenGL internally, so after the initial image load, the
common operations (drawing, redrawing, panning and zooming) are very fast. I
have high-resolution images in my projects, and this will make my tools much
nicer.
Three separate interfaces are...
--------------------
Russ Allbery: Fall haul
https://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/journal/2021-11/002.html
November 29, 2021, 3:45 AM
It's been a while since I've posted one of these, and I also may have had
a few moments of deciding to support authors by buying their books even if
I'm not going to get a chance to read them soon. There's also a bit of
work reading in here.
Ryka Aoki — Light from Uncommon Stars (sff)
Frederick R. Chromey — To Measure the Sky (non-fiction)
Neil Gaiman, et al. — Sandman: Overture (graphic novel)
Alix E. Harrow — A Spindle Splintered (sff)
Jordan Ifueko — Raybearer (sff)
Jordan Ifuek...
--------------------
Wouter Verhelst: GR procedures and timelines
https://grep.be/blog//en/life/debian/GR_procedures_and_timelines/
November 28, 2021, 7:04 PM
A vote has been proposed in
Debian to change the formal procedure in Debian by which General
Resolutions (our name for "votes") are proposed. The original proposal
is based on a text by Russ
Allberry, which changes a number
of rules to be less ambiguous and, frankly, less weird.
One thing Russ' proposal does, however, which I am absolutely not in
agreement with, is to add a absolutly hard time limit after three weeks.
That is, in the proposed procedure, the discussion time will be two
weeks ini...
--------------------
Joachim Breitner: Zero-downtime upgrades of Internet Computer canisters
http://www.joachim-breitner.de/blog/789-Zero-downtime_upgrades_of_Internet_Computer_canisters
November 28, 2021, 5:11 PM
TL;DR: Zero-downtime upgrades are possible if you stick to the basic actor model.
Background
DFINITY’s Internet Computer provides a kind of serverless compute platform, where the services are WebAssemmbly programs called “canisters”. These services run without stopping (or at least that’s what it feels like from the service’s perspective; this is called “orthogonal persistence”), and process one message after another. Messages not only come from the outside (“ingress” calls), b...
--------------------
Russ Allbery: Review: Soul Music
https://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/reviews/books/0-06-223741-1.html
November 28, 2021, 5:35 AM
Review: Soul Music, by Terry Pratchett

Series:
Discworld #16

Publisher:
Harper

Copyright:
January 1995

Printing:
November 2013

ISBN:
0-06-223741-1

Format:
Mass market

Pages:
420

Soul Music is the sixteenth Discworld novel and something of a plot
sequel to Reaper Man (although more of a
sequel to the earlier Mort). I would
not start reading the Discworld books here.
Susan is a student in the ...
--------------------
Russ Allbery: Review: A Psalm for the Wild-Built
https://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/reviews/books/1-250-23622-3.html
November 27, 2021, 5:27 AM
Review: A Psalm for the Wild-Built, by Becky Chambers

Series:
Monk &amp; Robot #1

Publisher:
Tordotcom

Copyright:
July 2021

ISBN:
1-250-23622-3

Format:
Kindle

Pages:
160

At the start of the story, Sibling Dex is a monk in a monastery in Panga's
only City. They have spent their entire life there, love the buildings,
know the hidden corners of the parks, and find the architecture beautiful.
They're also hearti...
--------------------
Reproducible Builds (diffoscope): diffoscope 194 released
https://diffoscope.org/news/diffoscope-194-released/
November 26, 2021, 12:00 AM
The diffoscope maintainers are pleased to announce the release of diffoscope
version 194. This version includes the following changes:
[ Chris Lamb ]
* Don't traceback when comparing nested directories with non-directories.
(Closes: reproducible-builds/diffoscope#288)
You find out more by visiting the project homepage....
--------------------
Mike Gabriel: Touching Firefox on Linux
https://sunweavers.net/blog/node/139
November 25, 2021, 10:01 AM
More as a reminder to myself, but possibly also helpful to other people who want to use Firefox on a tablet running Debian...
Without the below adjustment, finger gestures in Firefox running on a tablet result in image moving, text highlighting, etc. (operations related to copy+paste). Not the intuitively expected behaviour...
If you use e.g. GNOME on Wayland for your tablet and want to enable touch functionalities in Firefox, then switch the whole browser to native Wayland rendering. This lin...
--------------------
Dirk Eddelbuettel: nanotime 0.3.4 on CRAN: Maintenance Update
http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com/blog/2021/11/24#nanotime_0.3.4
November 24, 2021, 10:00 PM
Another (minor) nanotime release, now at version 0.3.4, arrived at CRAN overnight. It exports some nanoperiod functionality via a C++ header, and Leonardo and I will use this in an upcoming package that we hope to talk about a little more in a few days. It also adds a few as.character.*() methods that had not been included before.
nanotime relies on the RcppCCTZ package for (efficient) high(er) resolution time parsing and formatting up to nanosecond resolution, and the bit64 package for the actu...
--------------------
Enrico Zini: Really lossy compression of JPEG
http://www.enricozini.org/blog/2021/python/really-lossy-compression-of-jpeg
November 23, 2021, 6:58 PM
Suppose you have a tool that archives images, or scientific data, and it has a
test suite. It would be good to collect sample files for the test suite, but
they are often so big one can't really bloat the repository with them.
But does the test suite need everything that is in those files? Not necesarily.
For example, if one's testing code that reads EXIF metadata, one doesn't care
about what is in the image.
That technique works extemely well. I can take GRIB
files that are several megabytes in...
--------------------
Jonathan Wiltshire: Mischief managed
https://www.jwiltshire.org.uk/2021/11/22/mischief-managed/
November 22, 2021, 10:50 PM
I’m finally paying up a certain amount of household technical debt, including investigating some exciting mystery cabling and insulating the space it inhabits. This has meant pulling down large chunks of ceiling (eventually, most or all of it for the insulation) on a cable hunt.
Turns out the best tool for this part of the job is a decent length of 4 by 2, some borrowed muscle, and a certain amount of bravery. Once a couple of holes have been cut the old-fashioned way to be sure there’s n...
--------------------
Ricardo Mones: Claws Mail 4 in experimental
https://mones.livejournal.com/118453.html
November 22, 2021, 9:49 AM
A full month has passed since Claws Mail 4.0.0 was uploaded to Debian experimental, and, somewhat surprisingly, I've received no bug report about it.
This of course can be either because nobody has been brave enough to install it or because well, it works really nice.
For those who don't know what I'm talking about, just note that this version is the first Debian upload for the GTK+3 version of Claws Mail. There was an initial upstream release, namely 3.99, but it was less polished and also I wa...
--------------------
Paul Tagliamonte: Be careful when using vxlan!
https://blog.pault.ag/post/668518326195109888
November 22, 2021, 2:39 AM
I’ve spent a bit of time playing with
vxlan - which is very neat, but also incredibly insecure by default.When using vxlan, be very careful to understand how the host is connected to the internet. The kernel will listen on all interfaces for packets, which means hosts accessable to VMs it’s hosting (e.g., by bridged interface or a private LAN will accept packets from VMs and inject them into arbitrary VLANs, even ones it’s not on.I reported this to the kernel mailing list to no reply with ...
--------------------
Julian Andres Klode: APT Z3 Solver Basics
https://blog.jak-linux.org/2021/11/21/apt-z3-solver-basics/
November 21, 2021, 7:49 PM
Z3 is a theorem prover developed at Microsoft research and available as
a dynamically linked C++ library in Debian-based distributions. While the
library is a whopping 16 MB, and the solver is a tad slow, it’s permissive
licensing, and number of tactics offered give it a huge potential for use
in solving dependencies in a wide variety of applications.
Z3 does not need normalized formulas, but offers higher level abstractions
like atmost and atleast and implies, that we will make use of togethe...
--------------------
Antoine Beaupré: The last syncmaildir crash
https://anarc.at/blog/2021-11-21-one-last-smd-crash/
November 21, 2021, 4:04 PM
My syncmaildir (SMD) setup failed
me one too many times
(previously,
previously). In an attempt to migrate
to an alternative mail synchronization tool, I looked into using my
IMAP server again, and found out my mail spool was in a pretty bad
shape. I'm comparing mbsync and offlineimap in the next
post but this post talks about how
I recovered the mail spool so that tools like those could correctly
synchronise the mail spool again.
The latest crash
On Monday, SMD just started failing with this ...
--------------------
Antoine Beaupré: mbsync vs OfflineIMAP
https://anarc.at/blog/2021-11-21-mbsync-vs-offlineimap/
November 21, 2021, 4:04 PM
After recovering from my latest email
crash
(previously,
previously), I had to figure out
which tool I should be using. I had many options but I figured I would
start with a popular one (mbsync).
But I also evaluated OfflineIMAP which was resurrected from the Python
2 apocalypse, and because I had used it before, for a long time.
Read on for the details.
Benchmark setup
All programs were tested against a Dovecot 1:2.3.13+dfsg1-2 server,
running Debian bullseye.
The client is a Purism 13v4 l...
--------------------
Jonathan Dowland: hledger footguns
https://jmtd.net/log/hledger_footguns/
November 20, 2021, 9:03 PM
I wrote in budgeting tools that I was taking a look at
Plain Text Accounting and in
particular, hledger. My Jury's still out
on the tools, but in the time I've been looking at them I've come
across a couple of foot-guns I thought it was worth writing down.
hledger's ledger format is derived from that of its predecessor
ledger, and so some of the problems might be inherited.
1. significant white space delimiters
The basic syntax for a transaction looks like this
2020-03-15 client payment
--------------------
Mike Hommey: Announcing git-cinnabar 0.5.8
https://glandium.org/blog/?p=4276
November 19, 2021, 10:05 PM
Git-cinnabar is a git remote helper to interact with mercurial repositories. It allows to clone, pull and push from/to mercurial remote repositories, using git.
Get it on github.
These release notes are also available on the git-cinnabar wiki.
What’s new since 0.5.7?
Updated git to 2.34.0 for the helper.
Python 3.5 and newer are now officially supported. Git-cinnabar will try to
use the python3 program by default, but will fallback to python2.7 if
that’s where the Mercurial libraries are av...
--------------------
Gunnar Wolf: For our millionth bug, bookworms eat raspberries alive
https://gwolf.org/2021/11/for-our-millionth-bug-bookworms-eat-raspberries-alive.html
November 19, 2021, 3:37 PM
I guess you already heard, right? The Debian Bug Tracking System has
hit a big milestone! We just passed our one millionth bug
report! (and yes, that’s a cause for
celebration; bug reporting is probably the best way for the system to
grow and improve)
So, to celebrate, I want to announce I have nudged our unofficial
Raspberry Pi images build scripts to now
also build images for our upcoming Debian release, Debian 12
«Bookworm»
(image above: A bookworm learns about raspberries in various...
--------------------
Evgeni Golov: A String is not a String, and that's Groovy!
https://www.die-welt.net/2021/11/a-string-is-not-a-string-and-thats-groovy/
November 19, 2021, 2:16 PM
Halloween is over, but I still have some nightmares to share with you, so sit down, take some hot chocolate and enjoy :)
When working with Jenkins, there is almost no way to avoid writing Groovy. Well, unless you only do old style jobs with shell scripts, but y'all know what I think about shell scripts…
Anyways, Eric have been rewriting the jobs responsible for building Debian packages for Foreman to pipelines (and thus Groovy).
Our build process for pull requests is rather simple:
Setup sour...
--------------------
Neil Williams: git worktrees
https://linux.codehelp.co.uk/git-worktrees.html
November 19, 2021, 1:26 PM
A few scenarios have been problematic with git and I've now discovered
git worktrees which help with each.
If you've wanted to compare multiple files in different branches of
the same tree - without needing to commit on either side.
If you want to work on two (or more) versions of the same file at
the same time, again without needing to commit.
You have a file or a bunch of files that aren't ready to be
committed, even locally.
You are working on a development branch and an urgent fix is requir...
--------------------
Bits from Debian: New Debian Developers and Maintainers (September and October 2021)
https://bits.debian.org/2021/11/new-developers-2021-10.html
November 19, 2021, 12:00 PM
The following contributors got their Debian Developer accounts in the last two months:
Bastian Germann (bage)
Gürkan Myczko (tar)
The following contributors were added as Debian Maintainers in the last two months:
Clay Stan
Daniel Milde
David da Silva Polverari
Sunday Cletus Nkwuda
Ma Aiguo
Sakirnth Nagarasa
Congratulations!...
--------------------
Mike Gabriel: Improbability of a million, lintian thinks...
https://sunweavers.net/blog/node/138
November 19, 2021, 7:08 AM
An interesting mindset overcome by reality...
Also, lintian does not differentiate between between 100.000 and 1.000.000.
W: ayatana-indicator-display: improbable-bug-number-in-closes 1000143
N:
N: The most recent changelog closes a low-numbered bug number. While this is distantly possible, it's more likely a typo or
N: a placeholder value that mistakenly wasn't filled in.
N:
N: Visibility: warning
N: Show-Always: no
N: Check: debian/changelog
N:
N:
¯_(ツ)_/¯
light+love
Mik...
--------------------
Dirk Eddelbuettel: RcppArmadillo 0.10.7.3.0 on CRAN: Bugfix, New Features
http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com/blog/2021/11/18#rcpparmadillo_0.10.7.3.0
November 19, 2021, 12:12 AM
Armadillo is a powerful and expressive C++ template library for linear algebra aiming towards a good balance between speed and ease of use with a syntax deliberately close to a Matlab. RcppArmadillo integrates this library with the R environment and language–and is widely used by (currently) 928 other packages on CRAN.
I somehow missed to blog and tweet about the recent release based on the Armadillo 10.7.3 upstream release. Conrad is in “long-term support mode”, and 10.7.* is meant to pro...
--------------------
Reproducible Builds (diffoscope): diffoscope 193 released
https://diffoscope.org/news/diffoscope-193-released/
November 19, 2021, 12:00 AM
The diffoscope maintainers are pleased to announce the release of diffoscope
version 193. This version includes the following changes:
[ Chris Lamb ]
* Don't duplicate file lists at each directory level.
(Closes: #989192, reproducible-builds/diffoscope#263)
* When pretty-printing JSON, mark the difference as such, additionally
avoiding including the full path.
(Closes: reproducible-builds/diffoscope#205)
* Codebase improvements:
- Update a bunch of %-style string interpolations into f-...
--------------------
Rapha&#235;l Hertzog: Freexian’s report about Debian Long Term Support, October 2021
https://raphaelhertzog.com/2021/11/17/freexians-report-about-debian-long-term-support-october-2021/
November 17, 2021, 4:51 PM
Every month we review the work funded by Freexian’s Debian LTS offering. Please find the report for October below.
Debian project funding
Our project funding work continues with an active bid on the work of packaging gradle in Debian. The next steps are reviewing the bid and formal approval.In October 2,475 EUR was put aside to fund Debian projects.
We’re looking forward to receiving more projects from various Debian teams! Learn more about the rationale behind this initiative in th...
--------------------
Christoph Berg: PostgreSQL and Undelete
https://www.df7cb.de/blog/2021/postgresql-undelete.html
November 17, 2021, 3:46 PM
pg_dirtyread
Earlier this week, I updated pg_dirtyread
to work with PostgreSQL 14.
pg_dirtyread is a PostgreSQL extension that allows reading "dead" rows from
tables, i.e. rows that have already been deleted, or updated. Of course that
works only if the table has not been cleaned-up yet by a VACUUM command or
autovacuum, which is PostgreSQL's garbage collection machinery.
Here's an example of pg_dirtyread in action:
# create table foo (id int, t text);
CREATE TABLE
# insert into foo values (1...
--------------------
Paul Tagliamonte: Measuring the Power Output of my SDRs ⚡
https://k3xec.com/power-output/
November 16, 2021, 3:06 AM
Over the last few years, I’ve often wondered what the true power output of my
SDRs are. It’s a question with a shocking amount of complexity in the
response, due to a number of factors (mostly Frequency). The ranges given in
spec sheets are often extremely vague, and if I’m being honest with myself,
not incredibly helpful for being able to determine what specific filters and
amplifiers I’ll need to get a clean signal transmitted.
Hey, heads up! - This post contains extremely unvalidated...
--------------------
Vincent Bernat: Git as a source of truth for network automation
https://vincent.bernat.ch/en/blog/2021-source-of-truth-network
November 15, 2021, 7:53 AM
The first step when automating a network is to build the source of
truth. A source of truth is a repository of data that provides the
intended state: the list of devices, the IP addresses, the network
protocols settings, the time servers, etc. A popular choice is
NetBox. Its documentation highlights its usage as a source of
truth:
NetBox intends to represent the desired state of a network versus
its operational state. As such, automated import of live network
state is strongly discouraged. All ...
--------------------
Russ Allbery: Review: The Last Graduate
https://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/reviews/books/0-593-12887-7.html
November 14, 2021, 4:49 AM
Review: The Last Graduate, by Naomi Novik

Series:
The Scholomance #2

Publisher:
Del Rey

Copyright:
2021

ISBN:
0-593-12887-7

Format:
Kindle

Pages:
388

This is a direct sequel to A Deadly
Education, by which I mean it starts in the same minute at which A
Deadly Education ends (and let me say how grateful I am for a sequel that
doesn't drop days, months, or years between books). You do not want to
read this ser...
--------------------
Ruby Team: Ruby transition and packaging hints #2 - Gemfile.lock created by bundler/setup with Ruby 2.7 preventing successful test with Ruby 3.0
https://ruby-team.pages.debian.net/2021/11/08/ruby-transition-and-packaging-hints-2-gemfile-lock.html
November 14, 2021, 3:25 AM
We currently face an issue in all packages requiring bunlder/setup and trying
to run the tests for Ruby 2.7 and 3.0. The problem is that the first tests will
create Gemfile.lock (or gemfile/gemfile-*.lock) using Ruby 2.7 and the next
run for Ruby 3 will report e.g.:
Failure/Error: require 'bundler/setup' # Set up gems listed in the Gemfile.
Bundler::GemNotFound:
Could not find racc-1.4.16 in any of the sources
or
/usr/share/rubygems-integration/all/gems/bundler-2.2.27/lib/bundler/definiti...
--------------------
Ruby Team: Ruby transition and packaging hints #1 - Adjusting Ruby version in commands
https://ruby-team.pages.debian.net/2021/11/08/ruby-transition-and-packaging-hints-1-rbconfig-ruby.html
November 13, 2021, 8:24 PM
This is the first part of a series of short posts about issues that came up
during the Ruby 3.0 transition and how to fix them. Hopefully more team members
will join in and add their input.
During the Ruby 3.0 transition there are essentially two different Ruby
versions with two different binaries available, /usr/bin/ruby2.7 and
/usr/bin/ruby3.0, while /usr/bin/ruby points to the current default
version, which is Ruby 2.7.
In some cases the tests shipped by the source packages will use shell c...
--------------------
John Goerzen: Managing an External Display on Linux Shouldn’t Be This Hard
https://changelog.complete.org/archives/10311-managing-an-external-display-on-linux-shouldnt-be-this-hard
November 13, 2021, 4:21 PM
I first started using Linux and FreeBSD on laptops in the late 1990s. Back then, there were all sorts of hassles and problems, from hangs on suspend to pure failure to boot. I still worry a bit about suspend on unknown hardware, but by and large, the picture of Linux on laptops has dramatically improved over the last years. So much so that now I can complain about what would once have been a minor nit: dealing with external monitors.
I have a USB-C dock that provides both power and a Thunderb...
--------------------
Jonathan Dowland: Frictionless external backups with systemd
https://jmtd.net/log/systemd_ext_backups/
November 12, 2021, 10:18 PM
Here's a description of how my monthly external backups are managed at a
technical level. I didn't realise I hadn't written this all down anywhere yet.
What
blinkenlights!
I plug in one of two (prepared) external hard drives into my headless
NAS. The NAS contains my primary data backup. A job
automatically decrypts the encrypted filesystem on the drive, mounts it and
synchronises the copy of my backup data on the drive from that on the NAS.
Whilst this is going on, the blinkstick LED o...
--------------------
Adnan Hodzic: wp-k8s: WordPress on privately hosted Kubernetes cluster (Raspberry Pi 4 + Synology)
https://foolcontrol.org/?p=4004
November 12, 2021, 11:09 AM
Blog post you’re reading right now is privately hosted on Raspberry PI 4 Kubernetes cluster with its data coming from NFS share and MariaDB on...
The post wp-k8s: WordPress on privately hosted Kubernetes cluster (Raspberry Pi 4 + Synology) appeared first on FoolControl: Phear the penguin....
Reproducible Builds (diffoscope): diffoscope 192 released
https://diffoscope.org/news/diffoscope-192-released/
November 12, 2021, 12:00 AM

Click here to read the complete article