From: use...@novabbs.org (rslight rss feeds)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.feeds.tech
Subject: Planet Debian
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2022 07:30:06 +0000
 by: rslight rss feeds - Sat, 29 Jan 2022 07:30 UTC

Reproducible Builds (diffoscope): diffoscope 202 released
https://diffoscope.org/news/diffoscope-202-released/
January 28, 2022, 12:00 AM
The diffoscope maintainers are pleased to announce the release of diffoscope
version 202. This version includes the following changes:
[ Chris Lamb ]
* Don't fail if comparing a nonexistent file with a .pyc file (and add test).
(Closes: #1004312)
* Drop a reference in the manual page which claims the ability to compare
non-existent files on the command-line. This has not been possible since
version 32 which was released in September 2015. (Closes: #1004182)
* Add experimental support for ...
--------------------
Jonathan Dowland: Using an iPad for note-taking in talks
https://jmtd.net/log/uksystems21/ipad/
January 27, 2022, 9:39 PM
I've found that using a laptop during conference talks means you either
end up doing something else and missing important bits of the talk, or
at least look like you're doing something else. But it's extremely
helpful to be able to look up the person who is talking, or their project,
or expand an acronym that's mentioned or read around the subject.
At December's uksystems21 conference, I experimented with using an
iPad as a kind of compromise. Modern iOS versions let you split the
display betwe...
--------------------
Russ Allbery: Review: I Didn't Do the Thing Today
https://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/reviews/books/0-593-41914-6.html
January 27, 2022, 3:53 AM
Review: I Didn't Do the Thing Today, by Madeleine Dore

Publisher:
Avery

Copyright:
2022

ISBN:
0-593-41914-6

Format:
Kindle

Pages:
291

At least from my narrow view of it, the world of productivity self-help
literature is a fascinating place right now. The pandemic overturned
normal work patterns and exacerbated schedule inequality, creating vastly
different experiences for the people whose work continued to be in-person
an...
--------------------
Dirk Eddelbuettel: td 0.0.6 on CRAN: Minor Bugfix
http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com/blog/2022/01/26#td_0.0.6
January 27, 2022, 12:32 AM
The td package for accessing the twelvedata API for financial data has been updated once more on CRAN and is now at version 0.0.6.
The release comes in response to an email from CRAN who noticed (via r-devel) that I was sloppy (in one spot, it turns out) with a logical expression resulting in an expression of length greather than one. Fixed by wrapping an all() around it—and the package was back at CRAN minutes later thanks to automated processing over their end.
The NEWS entry follows.
Chang...
--------------------
Michael Ablassmeier: Qemu backup on Debian Bullseye
https://abbbi.github.io//qmpbackup-blog/
January 27, 2022, 12:00 AM
In my last article i showed how to use the
new features included in Debian Bullseye to easily create backups of your
libvirt managed domains.
A few years ago as this topic came to my interest, i also implemented a rather
small utility (POC) to create full and incremental backups from standalone qemu
processes: qmpbackup
The workflow for this is a little bit different from the approach i have taken
with virtnbdbackup.
While with libvirt managed virtual machines, the libvirt API provides all
ne...
--------------------
Gunnar Wolf: Progvis — Now in Debian proper! (unstable)
https://gwolf.org/2022/01/progvis-now-in-debian-proper-unstable.html
January 26, 2022, 4:43 PM
Progvis finally made it into
Debian! What is it, you
ask? It is a great tool to teach about memory management and
concurrency.
I first saw progvis in the poster presentation his author, Filip
Strömbäck, did last year at the https://sigcse2021.sigcse.org/,
immediately recognizing it as a tool I wanted to use at my classes,
and being it free software, make it available for all interested
Debian users. Quoting from
https://storm-lang.org/index.php?q=06-Programs%2F01-Progvis.md:
This is a p...
--------------------
Timo Jyrinki: Unboxing Dell XPS 13 - openSUSE Tumbleweed alongside preinstalled Ubuntu
http://losca.blogspot.com/2022/01/unboxing-dell-xps-13-opensuse.html
January 26, 2022, 12:51 PM
A look at the 2021 model of Dell XPS 13 - available with Linux pre-installedI received a new laptop for work - a Dell XPS 13. Dell has been long famous for offering certain models with pre-installed Linux as a supported option, and opting for those is nice for moving some euros/dollars from certain PC desktop OS monopoly towards Linux desktop engineering costs. Notably Lenovo also offers Ubuntu and Fedora options on many models these days (like Carbon X1 and P15 Gen 2). Obviously a smooth,...
--------------------
Russell Coker: Australia/NZ Linux Meetings
https://etbe.coker.com.au/2022/01/26/australia-nz-linux-meetings/
January 26, 2022, 6:44 AM
I am going to start a new Linux focused FOSS online meeting for people in Australia and nearby areas. People can join from anywhere but the aim will be to support people in nearby areas.
To cover the time zone range for Australia this requires a meeting on a weekend, I’m thinking of the first Saturday of the month at 1PM Melbourne/Sydney time, that would be 10AM in WA and 3PM in NZ. We may have corner cases of daylight savings starting and ending on different days, but that shouldn’t be a bi...
--------------------
Dirk Eddelbuettel: RcppArmadillo 0.10.8.1.0 on CRAN: Upstream Updates
http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com/blog/2022/01/25#rcpparmadillo_0.10.8.1.0
January 25, 2022, 8:33 PM
Armadillo is a powerful and expressive C++ template library for linear algebra aiming towards a good balance between speed and ease of use with a syntax deliberately close to a Matlab. RcppArmadillo integrates this library with the R environment and language–and is widely used by (currently) 950 other packages on CRAN, downloaded over 22.9 million times (per the partial logs from the cloud mirrors of CRAN), and the CSDA paper (preprint/vignette) by Conrad and myself has been cited 451 times ac...
--------------------
Matthieu Caneill: Debsources, python3, and funky file names
http://matthieu.io/blog/2022/01/24/debsources-python3-funky-file-names/
January 23, 2022, 11:00 PM
Rumors are running that python2 is not a thing anymore.
Well, I'm certainly late to the party, but I'm happy to report that
sources.debian.org is now running python3.
Wait, it wasn't?
Back when development started, python3 was very much a real language, but it was
hard to adopt because it was not supported by many libraries. So python2 was
chosen, meaning print-based debugging was used in lieu of print()-based
debugging, and str were bytes, not unicode.
And things were working just fine. O...
--------------------
Antoine Beaupré: Switching from OpenNTPd to Chrony
https://anarc.at/blog/2022-01-23-chrony/
January 23, 2022, 9:55 PM
A friend recently reminded me of the existence of chrony, a
"versatile implementation of the Network Time Protocol (NTP)". The
excellent introduction is worth quoting in full:
It can synchronise the system clock with NTP servers, reference
clocks (e.g. GPS receiver), and manual input using wristwatch and
keyboard. It can also operate as an NTPv4 (RFC 5905) server and peer
to provide a time service to other computers in the network.
It is designed to perform well in a wide range of conditions,
--------------------
Steve Kemp: Visiting the UK was difficult, but worth it
https://blog.steve.fi/visiting_the_uk_was_difficult__but_worth_it.html
January 22, 2022, 10:00 AM
So in my previous post I mentioned that we were going to spend the Christmas period in the UK, which we did.
We spent a couple of days there, meeting my parents, and family. We also persuaded my sister to drive us to Scarborough so that we could hang out on the beach for an afternoon.
Finland has lots of lakes, but it doesn't have proper waves. So it was surprisingly good just to wade in the sea and see waves! Unfortunately our child was a wee bit too scared to ride on a donkey!
Unfortunat...
--------------------
Louis-Philippe Véronneau: Goodbye Nexus 5
https://veronneau.org/goodbye-nexus-5.html
January 22, 2022, 4:30 AM
I've blogged a few times already about my Nexus 5, the Android device I
have/had been using for 8 years. Sadly, it died a few weeks ago, when the WiFi
chip stopped working. I could probably have attempted a mainboard swap, but at
this point, getting a new device seemed like the best choice.
In a world where most Android devices are EOL after less than 3 years, it is
amazing I was able to keep this device for so long, always running the latest
Android version with the latest security patch. The N...
--------------------
Dirk Eddelbuettel: qlcal 0.0.2 on CRAN: Updates
http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com/blog/2022/01/21#qlcal-r_0.0.2
January 22, 2022, 3:03 AM
The second release of the still fairly new qlcal package arrivied at CRAN today.
qlcal is based on the calendaring subset of QuantLib. It is provided (for the R package) as a set of included files, so the package is self-contained and does not depend on an external QuantLib library (which can be demanding to build). qlcal covers over sixty country / market calendars and can compute holiday lists, its complement (i.e. business day lists) and much more.
This release brings a further package simpli...
--------------------
Neil McGovern: Further investments in desktop Linux
https://blog.halon.org.uk/2022/01/further-investments-in-desktop-linux/
January 21, 2022, 3:31 PM
This was originally posted on the GNOME Foundation news feed
The GNOME Foundation was supported during 2020-2021 by a grant from Endless Network which funded the Community Engagement Challenge, strategy consultancy with the board, and a contribution towards our general running costs. At the end of last year we had a portion of this grant remaining, and after the success of our work in previous years directly funding developer and infrastructure work on GTK and Flathub, we wanted to see whethe...
--------------------
Louis-Philippe Véronneau: Homebrewing recipes
https://veronneau.org/homebrewing-recipes.html
January 21, 2022, 5:15 AM
Looking at my blog, it seems I haven't written anything about homebrewing in a
while. In fact, the last time I did was when I had a carboy blow out on
me in the middle of the night...
Fear not, I haven't stopped brewing since then. I have in fact decided to
publish my homebrew recipes. Not on this blog though, as it would get pretty
repetitive.
So here are my recipes. So far, I've brewed around 30 different
beers!
The format is pretty simple (no fancy HTML, just plain markdown) and although
I'm ...
--------------------
Louis-Philippe Véronneau: Montreal Subway Foot Traffic Data, 2021 edition
https://veronneau.org/montreal-subway-foot-traffic-data-2021-edition.html
January 21, 2022, 5:00 AM
For the third time now, I've asked Société de Transport de Montréal,
Montreal's transit agency, for the foot traffic data of Montreal's subway. I
think this has become an annual thing now :)
The original blog post and the 2019-2020 edition can be read here:
Original blog post (2001 to 2018)
2019-2020 edition (2001 to 2020)
By clicking on a subway station, you'll be redirected to a graph of the
station's foot traffic.
Orange line (top10)
Green line (top10)
Blue line
Yellow line
Global Top ...
--------------------
Reproducible Builds (diffoscope): diffoscope 201 released
https://diffoscope.org/news/diffoscope-201-released/
January 21, 2022, 12:00 AM
The diffoscope maintainers are pleased to announce the release of diffoscope
version 201. This version includes the following changes:
[ Chris Lamb ]
* If the debian.deb822 module raises any exception on import, re-raise it as
an ImportError instead. This should fix diffoscope on some Fedora systems.
Thanks to Mattia Rizzolo for suggesting this particular solution.
(Closes: reproducible-builds/diffoscope#300)
[ Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek ]
* Fix json detection with file-5.41-3.fc36.x86...
--------------------
Sven Hoexter: Running OpenWRT x86 in qemu
http://sven.stormbind.net/blog/posts/deb_qemu_local_openwrt/
January 20, 2022, 8:20 PM
Sometimes it's nice for testing purpose to have the OpenWRT
userland available locally. Since there is an x86 build
available one can just run it within qemu.
wget https://downloads.openwrt.org/releases/21.02.1/targets/x86/64/openwrt-21.02.1-x86-64-generic-squashfs-combined.img.gz
gunzip openwrt-21.02.1-x86-64-generic-squashfs-combined.img.gz
qemu-img convert -f raw -O qcow2 openwrt-21.02.1-x86-64-generic-squashfs-combined.img openwrt-21.02.1.qcow2
qemu-img resize openwrt-21.02.1.qcow2 200M
qem...
--------------------
Dirk Eddelbuettel: RQuantLib 0.4.15: Regular Update
http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com/blog/2022/01/20#rquantlib_0.4.15
January 20, 2022, 12:44 PM
A new release 0.4.15 of RQuantLib arrived at CRAN earlier today, and has been uploaded to Debian as well.
QuantLib is a very comprehensice free/open-source library for quantitative finance; RQuantLib connects it to the R environment and language.
The release of RQuantLib comes four months after the previous release, and brings a momitor update for the just-released QuantLib 1.2.5 version along with a few small cleanups to calendars and daycounters.
Changes in RQuantLib version 0.4.15 (2022-01-1...
--------------------
Caleb Adepitan: I'm Thinking About You Right Now!
https://chainofcommand.hashnode.dev/im-thinking-about-you-right-now
January 20, 2022, 10:17 AM
Just in case you stumbled on this incidentally and you wonder “Who in the seven fat worlds is this mysterious...?” Ha! That was what I was thinking about you you were thinking about me. You gerrit!?
I heard you listening to my thoughts; I listened to yours too. I wonder if you heard me too.
I will like to talk, today, about what it is I do at Debian as an Outreachy Intern under the JavaScript team. I woke up this morning and decided to bore you with so much details. I must have woken up glor...
--------------------
Russ Allbery: DocKnot 7.01
https://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/journal/2022-01/004.html
January 20, 2022, 5:17 AM
Continuing to flush out bugs in the recent changes to my static web site
generator.
I had missed some Unicode implications for how output from external
programs was handled, and also missed Unicode decoding of the output from
Pod::Thread, since Pod::Simple always encodes its output even if that
output is to a scalar. I also missed an implication for how symlinks were
handled in Path::Iterator::Rule, causing docknot spin to fail to
copy files into the output tree that were symlinks in the inp...
--------------------
Joerg Jaspert: Funny CPU usage
https://blog.ganneff.de/2022/01/funny-cpu-usage.html
January 19, 2022, 8:56 PM
Munin plugin and it’s CPU usage (shell fixup)
So at work we do have a munin server running, and one of
the graphs we do for every system is a network statistics one with a
resolution of 1 second. That’s a simple enough script to have, and it
is working nicely - on 98% of our machines. You just don’t notice the
data gatherer at all, so that we also have some other graphs done with
a 1 second resolution. For some, this really helps.
Basics
The basic code for this is simple. There is a bun...
Joey Hess: encountered near the start of a new chapter
http://joeyh.name/blog/entry/encountered_near_the_start_of_a_new_chapter/
January 18, 2022, 1:01 AM

Click here to read the complete article