From: Anonym...@rocksolidbbs.com (Anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.freenet
Subject: New Path for Freenet
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2023 08:13:07 +0000
 by: Anonymous - Sat, 17 Jun 2023 08:13 UTC

I haven't been keeping up with Freenet but it looks like they're switching plans.

They are no longer going to be just an anonymous distributed file storage and retrieval and it seems like they're going the decentralized and distributed applications (dapps) route now and they've ditched the anonymous-first design.

My main issue with peer-to-peer applications has always been privacy, it's bad enough to let a single centralized server or a single decentalized server know too much about you but it's even worse to broadcast information about you to everyone that's interested in your information.

https://freenet.org/faq

>Anonymity: Fred was designed with a strong focus on anonymity. In contrast, Locutus does not offer built-in anonymity, but it is designed to allow anonymizing systems to be layered on top if required.

I think this is a huge mistake. If you don't design your programs to be anonymous-first you'll end up leaking information everywhere.

https://freenet.org/

--
Posted on RetroBBS

Re: New Path for Freenet

<271e0abf165b0a673fb71af7f4891583@rocksolidbbs.com>

 copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=51&group=rocksolid.shared.freenet#51

From: Anonym...@rocksolidbbs.com (Anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.freenet
Subject: Re: New Path for Freenet
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2023 19:05:08 +0000
 by: Anonymous - Sat, 17 Jun 2023 19:05 UTC

Anonymous wrote:

> I haven't been keeping up with Freenet but it looks like they're switching plans.

> They are no longer going to be just an anonymous distributed file storage and retrieval and it seems like they're going the decentralized and distributed applications (dapps) route now and they've ditched the anonymous-first design.

> My main issue with peer-to-peer applications has always been privacy, it's bad enough to let a single centralized server or a single decentalized server know too much about you but it's even worse to broadcast information about you to everyone that's interested in your information.

> https://freenet.org/faq

>>Anonymity: Fred was designed with a strong focus on anonymity. In contrast, Locutus does not offer built-in anonymity, but it is designed to allow anonymizing systems to be layered on top if required.

> I think this is a huge mistake. If you don't design your programs to be anonymous-first you'll end up leaking information everywhere.

It sounds like a complete rethink of Freenet. This might lead to users sticking with Freenet7 just like some still stick to Freenet5.

Looks like a completely different project and should probably not be a replacement of Freenet, but a different idea completely.

--
Posted on RetroBBS