From: eliisthe...@gmail.com (Eli)
Newsgroups: news.admin.peering
Subject: Re: Newbie question
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2023 14:22:15 GMT
 by: Eli - Fri, 17 Mar 2023 14:22 UTC

On 16 Mar 2023 at 09:21:11 CET, "Julien ÉLIE"
<iulius@nom-de-mon-site.com.invalid> wrote:

> Hi Eli,
>
>> Can multiple pullnews instances be launched side by side?
>
> Yes, though you have to use a different set of newsgroups for each
> instance. Otherwise, they would do the same thing and it won't run much
> faster.
>
> For instance:
>
> pullnews -t 3 -c pullnews.marks1
> pullnews -t 3 -c pullnews.marks2

In the pulldown logs I see many of these lines:
x DEBUGGING 55508 421
x DEBUGGING 55509 421

What does this mean and what causes it?
After each such line it takes about 2 minutes until the next article is
downloaded and this slows down the download enormously.

I use debugging level 4.

Thanks.

Re: Newbie question

<tv2ek9$3lcvn$2@news.trigofacile.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=482&group=news.admin.peering#482

From: iul...@nom-de-mon-site.com.invalid (Julien ÉLIE)
Newsgroups: news.admin.peering
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2023 20:21:45 +0100
 by: Julien ÉLIE - Fri, 17 Mar 2023 19:21 UTC

Hi Eli,

>> pullnews -t 3 -c pullnews.marks1
>> pullnews -t 3 -c pullnews.marks2
>
> In the pulldown logs I see many of these lines:
> DEBUGGING 55508 421
> DEBUGGING 55509 421
>
> What does this mean and what causes it?
> After each such line it takes about 2 minutes until the next article is
> downloaded and this slows down the download enormously.

It means that article numbers 55508 and 55509 were not found on the
server (x). My guess is that the connection has timed out (421 special
internal code).

Jesse reported a bug which sounds like that a few months ago.

Could you please download the latest version of pullnews, and try it please?
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/InterNetNews/inn/main/frontends/pullnews.in

Just grab that file, rename it without .in, and change the first 2 lines
to fit what your current pullnews script has (it is the path to Perl and
the INN::Config module).
Then you can run that script. It will work with your version of INN.

--
Julien ÉLIE

« Campagne électorale : c'est l'art de gagner les voix des pauvres avec
l'argent des riches en promettant à chacun des deux de les protéger
contre l'autre. » (Oscar Ameringer)

Re: Newbie question

<rV6RL.2117207$US27.1401749@fx01.ams4>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=486&group=news.admin.peering#486

From: eliisthe...@gmail.com (Eli)
Newsgroups: news.admin.peering
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2023 23:42:15 GMT
 by: Eli - Fri, 17 Mar 2023 23:42 UTC

On 17 Mar 2023 at 20:21:45 CET, "Julien ÉLIE"
<iulius@nom-de-mon-site.com.invalid> wrote:

>> In the pulldown logs I see many of these lines:
>> DEBUGGING 55508 421
>> DEBUGGING 55509 421
>>
>> What does this mean and what causes it?
>> After each such line it takes about 2 minutes until the next article is
>> downloaded and this slows down the download enormously.
>
> It means that article numbers 55508 and 55509 were not found on the
> server (x). My guess is that the connection has timed out (421 special
> internal code).
>
> Jesse reported a bug which sounds like that a few months ago.
>
> Could you please download the latest version of pullnews, and try it please?
>
> https://raw.githubusercontent.com/InterNetNews/inn/main/frontends/pullnews.in
>
> Just grab that file, rename it without .in, and change the first 2 lines
> to fit what your current pullnews script has (it is the path to Perl and
> the INN::Config module).
> Then you can run that script. It will work with your version of INN.

Hello Julien,

The latest version seems to have fixed it.

Thank you

Re: Newbie question

<tv3okf$3nior$1@news.trigofacile.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=488&group=news.admin.peering#488

From: iul...@nom-de-mon-site.com.invalid (Julien ÉLIE)
Newsgroups: news.admin.peering
Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2023 08:18:39 +0100
 by: Julien ÉLIE - Sat, 18 Mar 2023 07:18 UTC

Hi Eli,

> The latest version seems to have fixed it.

Glad to hear it. Thanks for the confirmation the fix works. (It has
not been released yet; the INN 2.7.1 release is scheduled in April.)

--
Julien ÉLIE

« Sol attigit talos. »

Re: Bug in latest pullnews (was: Newbie question)

<24AUL.3489906$nwq3.1642192@fx13.ams4>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=551&group=news.admin.peering#551

From: eliisthe...@gmail.com (Eli)
Newsgroups: news.admin.peering
Subject: Re: Bug in latest pullnews (was: Newbie question)
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2023 11:20:30 GMT
 by: Eli - Tue, 28 Mar 2023 11:20 UTC

On 17 Mar 2023 at 21:21:45 CET, "Julien ÉLIE"
<iulius@nom-de-mon-site.com.invalid> wrote:

> Could you please download the latest version of pullnews, and try it please?
>
> https://raw.githubusercontent.com/InterNetNews/inn/main/frontends/pullnews.in
>
> Just grab that file, rename it without .in, and change the first 2 lines
> to fit what your current pullnews script has (it is the path to Perl and
> the INN::Config module).
> Then you can run that script. It will work with your version of INN.

Hi Julien,

I think there is a bug in this latest version.

When pullnews starts, it writes a PID file.
If pullnews is accidentally restarted, it will report that pullnews is already
running and that's perfect.
But after this message pullnews deletes the PID file :(

That's very annoying as I restart pullnews from cron every 15 minutes because
it occasionally stops for some unknown reason.

Other than that it works smoothly ;)

Eli.

Re: Bug in latest pullnews

<u03rbc$g2ci$1@news.trigofacile.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=552&group=news.admin.peering#552

From: iul...@nom-de-mon-site.com.invalid (Julien ÉLIE)
Newsgroups: news.admin.peering
Subject: Re: Bug in latest pullnews
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2023 13:21:16 +0200
 by: Julien ÉLIE - Thu, 30 Mar 2023 11:21 UTC

Hi Eli,

> I think there is a bug in this latest version.
>
> When pullnews starts, it writes a PID file.
> If pullnews is accidentally restarted, it will report that pullnews is already
> running and that's perfect.
> But after this message pullnews deletes the PID file :(

Thanks again for your bug report; it's really appreciated to make
pullnews better.

When you download a new version of pullnews from the Git repository, do
not forget to manually edit the first 2 lines of the file which should
reflect the paths to Perl and INN::Config. (You can take the same as
the ones in other Perl scripts like mailpost.)
It gives something like:

#! /usr/bin/perl -w
use lib '/usr/share/perl5'; use INN::Config;

The issue you're facing is only triggered when you run pullnews outside
an INN installation (which is a possible use of pullnews, as it could be
run from a separate server).
There are 2 branches at several places in the code. PID file handling
was wrong in one of these branches, as you noticed.

I believe the issue is now fixed, and you can download the updated
pullnews script from the Git repository.

--
Julien ÉLIE

« Les amis de la vérité sont ceux qui la cherchent, et non ceux qui se
vantent de l'avoir trouvée. » (Condorcet)

Re: Bug in latest pullnews

<nUlVL.3541891$nwq3.1985389@fx13.ams4>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=554&group=news.admin.peering#554

From: eliisthe...@gmail.com (Eli)
Newsgroups: news.admin.peering
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2023 20:01:23 GMT
 by: Eli - Thu, 30 Mar 2023 20:01 UTC

On 30 Mar 2023 at 13:21:16 CEST, "Julien ÉLIE"
<iulius@nom-de-mon-site.com.invalid> wrote:

> The issue you're facing is only triggered when you run pullnews outside
> an INN installation (which is a possible use of pullnews, as it could be
> run from a separate server).
> There are 2 branches at several places in the code. PID file handling
> was wrong in one of these branches, as you noticed.
>
> I believe the issue is now fixed, and you can download the updated
> pullnews script from the Git repository.

Hi Julien,

The problem has been solved :)

Thank you for the speedy fix. It works great now.

computers / news.admin.peering / Re: Bug in latest pullnews