ASCII a stupid question, you get an EBCDIC answer.

computers / alt.privacy.anon-server / Thoughts on future remailer system

SubjectAuthor
* Thoughts on future remailer systemEECL
+* Re: Thoughts on future remailer systemStefan Claas
|+* Re: Thoughts on future remailer systemanon
||`- Re: Thoughts on future remailer systemNomen Nescio
|`- Re: Thoughts on future remailer systemAnonymous
+- Re: Thoughts on future remailer systeminwtx
`- Re: Thoughts on future remailer systemAnonymous Remailer (austria)

1
Thoughts on future remailer system

<s7e6bu$rm5$1@news.mixmin.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=8012&group=alt.privacy.anon-server#8012

From: ele...@mit.edu (EECL)
Newsgroups: alt.privacy.anon-server
Subject: Thoughts on future remailer system
Date: Tue, 11 May 2021 10:03:26 -0500
 by: EECL - Tue, 11 May 2021 15:03 UTC

The remailer system seems to be depleting in remailer sysops.
The future may lie in there being volunteer remailer exits
only sending emails received from systems like BitMessage,
Sessions, Telegram, etc. on their servers and then sent out
the emails from there. All that they would need is to receive
the headers along with the message.
Sending a message through AdvOR (tor) through 10 hops to an
exit only would be enough to protect from detection.

Re: Thoughts on future remailer system

<AABgmqNUmPsAAAAM.A2.flnews@radio-eriwan.su>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=8013&group=alt.privacy.anon-server#8013

From: bou...@ipfs.io/ipns/radio-eriwan.su (Stefan Claas)
Newsgroups: alt.privacy.anon-server
Subject: Re: Thoughts on future remailer system
Date: Tue, 11 May 2021 17:31:32 +0200
 by: Stefan Claas - Tue, 11 May 2021 15:31 UTC

EECL wrote:

> The remailer system seems to be depleting in remailer sysops.
> The future may lie in there being volunteer remailer exits
> only sending emails received from systems like BitMessage,
> Sessions, Telegram, etc. on their servers and then sent out
> the emails from there. All that they would need is to receive
> the headers along with the message.
> Sending a message through AdvOR (tor) through 10 hops to an
> exit only would be enough to protect from detection.

Peoples interests have shifted. Which young people, who are
running for example one of the thousand Nym mix-nodes, uses
Usenet, or Mailing Lists?

The majority of people here are not interested in learning how
to run a Remailer and pay for that a monthly fee.

Regards
Stefan

--
When the phone was tied with a wire, humans were free.

Re: Thoughts on future remailer system

<s7ef09$gif$1@news.mixmin.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=8015&group=alt.privacy.anon-server#8015

From: ano...@anon.com (anon)
Newsgroups: alt.privacy.anon-server
Date: Tue, 11 May 2021 12:30:49 -0500
 by: anon - Tue, 11 May 2021 17:30 UTC

> EECL wrote:
>

>> The remailer system seems to be depleting in remailer sysops.
>> The future may lie in there being volunteer remailer exits
>> only sending emails received from systems like BitMessage,
>> Sessions, Telegram, etc. on their servers and then sent out
>> the emails from there. All that they would need is to receive
>> the headers along with the message.
>> Sending a message through AdvOR (tor) through 10 hops to an
>> exit only would be enough to protect from detection.
>
> Peoples interests have shifted. Which young people, who are
> running for example one of the thousand Nym mix-nodes, uses
> Usenet, or Mailing Lists?
>
> The majority of people here are not interested in learning how
> to run a Remailer and pay for that a monthly fee.

What people are not realizing is that email is and probably always be a major means of communications. I have circumvented becoming a police suspect 3 times in the recent past in reporting 2 stolen cars abandoned in my neighborhood. Just last week I reported a major companie's tractor/trailer that I spotted sitting on a side street for about a week and reported it. It had been stolen also. I think that there is someone living in the immediate area that steals vehicles to get back home. The 1st person to report a crime is the police 1st suspect in a crime, so using a remailer protects from that. The email of some police officers are many times posted on the city LEO website. So remailers are still quite important, as well as nyms.
As far as the cost, $4 to $5 a month is a real killer. There are not many people with a servant heart out there today.

Re: Thoughts on future remailer system

<s7eglu$khd$1@news.mixmin.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=8018&group=alt.privacy.anon-server#8018

From: nore...@inwtx.net (inwtx)
Newsgroups: alt.privacy.anon-server
Date: Tue, 11 May 2021 12:59:26 -0500
 by: inwtx - Tue, 11 May 2021 17:59 UTC

> The remailer system seems to be depleting in remailer sysops.
> The future may lie in there being volunteer remailer exits
> only sending emails received from systems like BitMessage,
> Sessions, Telegram, etc. on their servers and then sent out
> the emails from there. All that they would need is to receive
> the headers along with the message.
> Sending a message through AdvOR (tor) through 10 hops to an
> exit only would be enough to protect from detection.

Sessions might be a good idea, but Telegram requires a login and BitMessage seems dead. I have read that it hasn't been updated for 3 years.

Re: Thoughts on future remailer system

<224ab808b436e6bc3d779065e804c9a4@dizum.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=8021&group=alt.privacy.anon-server#8021

From: nob...@dizum.com (Nomen Nescio)
Date: Tue, 11 May 2021 20:43:13 +0200 (CEST)
Newsgroups: alt.privacy.anon-server
 by: Nomen Nescio - Tue, 11 May 2021 18:43 UTC

>> EECL wrote:
>>

>>> The remailer system seems to be depleting in remailer sysops.
>>> The future may lie in there being volunteer remailer exits
>>> only sending emails received from systems like BitMessage,
>>> Sessions, Telegram, etc. on their servers and then sent out
>>> the emails from there. All that they would need is to receive
>>> the headers along with the message.
>>> Sending a message through AdvOR (tor) through 10 hops to an
>>> exit only would be enough to protect from detection.
>>
>> Peoples interests have shifted. Which young people, who are
>> running for example one of the thousand Nym mix-nodes, uses
>> Usenet, or Mailing Lists?
>>
>> The majority of people here are not interested in learning how
>> to run a Remailer and pay for that a monthly fee.
>>
> What people are not realizing is that email is and probably always be a major means of communications. I have circumvented becoming a police suspect 3 times in the recent past in reporting 2 stolen cars abandoned in my neighborhood. Just last week I reported a major companie's tractor/trailer that I spotted sitting on a side street for about a week and reported it. It had been stolen also. I think that there is someone living in the immediate area that steals vehicles to get back home. The 1st person to report a crime is the police 1st suspect in a crime, so using a remailer protects from that. The email of some police officers are many times posted on the city LEO website. So remailers are still quite important, as well as nyms.
> As far as the cost, $4 to $5 a month is a real killer. There are not many people with a servant heart out there today.

The $5 a month is not what bothers me, it's the $1.50 a month I can't spend because I have to save it up to pay for the domain name at the end of a year.

Re: Thoughts on future remailer system

<0f205752778db50fb04c3d4ac3720f8f@remailer.paranoici.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=8023&group=alt.privacy.anon-server#8023

From: nob...@remailer.paranoici.org (Anonymous)
Date: Wed, 12 May 2021 01:41:41 +0200 (CEST)
Newsgroups: alt.privacy.anon-server
 by: Anonymous - Tue, 11 May 2021 23:41 UTC

Stefan Claas wrote:

> The majority of people here are not interested in learning how
> to run a Remailer and pay for that a monthly fee.

This is a provocative statement.

I can not program, set up server etc. and also I do not have
time to learn this. I'm happy that I know how to use QSL.

But if a NGO will run a new [exit] remailer
(mixmaster and/or yamn) I would support ($) them.

Re: Thoughts on future remailer system

<45b9816eadfe6a251627455eaebcacbe@remailer.privacy.at>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=8044&group=alt.privacy.anon-server#8044

From: mixmas...@remailer.privacy.at (Anonymous Remailer (austria))
Date: Fri, 14 May 2021 13:21:06 +0200 (CEST)
Newsgroups: alt.privacy.anon-server
 by: Anonymous Remailer ( - Fri, 14 May 2021 11:21 UTC

On 5/11/2021 12:59 PM, inwtx wrote:

>> The remailer system seems to be depleting in remailer sysops.
>> The future may lie in there being volunteer remailer exits
>> only sending emails received from systems like BitMessage,
>> Sessions, Telegram, etc. on their servers and then sent out
>> the emails from there. All that they would need is to receive
>> the headers along with the message.
>> Sending a message through AdvOR (tor) through 10 hops to an
>> exit only would be enough to protect from detection.
>
> Sessions might be a good idea, but Telegram requires a login and BitMessage seems dead. I have read that it hasn't been updated for 3 years.

Briar messaging.

Runs exclusively over Tor hidden services.

No usernames, no passwords, no phone numbers. Metadata resistant.
Anonymous and e2e encrypted.

Only downside, it runs on Android only.

https://briarproject.org/

computers / alt.privacy.anon-server / Thoughts on future remailer system