From: pos...@anon.com (Anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.social
Subject: Violence in movies (pic unrelated)
Date: Fri, 01 Jan 2021 09:45:09 -0800
logging-data="29962"; mail-complaints-to="usenet@rocksolidbbs.com"
 by: Anonymous - Fri, 1 Jan 2021 17:45 UTC
Attachments: ada1a773c8ee6118d2f141f2511abd515b165f81ac1e9649b60eb11a2d00c912.jpg (image/jpeg)

Just typing up some random thoughts about violence in movie pictures.

My first thought about it is this: on an intellectual level I don't care much for stories where violence is the one and only answer to most problems (the good ones killing the bad ones). This is a pattern that shows time and again, and goes through many genres, including most of the hollywood output.
I can watch these flics if i don't take the story to seriously and just follow the choreography of the fights. Depending on the quality of the scenes, this can be quite entertaining to me, even.
There are a few rare movies that have both, a good story and a lot of violence (I would count some of Quentin Taratinos among those).
Quentin Taratinos movies, and especially "Pulp fiction", brings me to another subject about violence: the way it is depicted in most movies is that a super hero (or heroine) goes through their enemies like a hot knife through butter, and 5 min later, they attend a dinner party or have sex with some random person that is put into the story just for that purpose (to show that the most potent fighter also gets the most gorgeous mating partner). Then they walk away and the fight is never mentioned anymore.
Having been on both ends of IRL violence, I can assure everybody that is is not how it goes down.
Even in the best case for you, where you go through a fight without so much as a scratch (yes, this can happen), most people (unless being stone cold psychos or heavily drunk/drugged), will go through the aftermath of a fight, which is at the very least to deal with your adrenaline coming down (which can be nasty if you experience it without understanding what is actually happening to you).
Usually you also have to get away from the place where the fight happened, or else be prepared to deal with the police or with potential comebacks of your opponent or his chums. If you can be identified, you could go to court. If you did serious damage to your opponent, maybe permanent damage, this could cost you for the rest of your life. The chances are very small, but a good punch or kick and the resulting fall can also take the life of somebody, and in this case there could be grave consequences for you, depending on circumtances and jurisdiction.
Now I don't claim to have experienced or even seen all of this (and I have no desire to do so), but I have seen enough to dislike the stories where all of these elements miss.
So I like some movies with violence, but only if I really buy into it, and where all sides are shown (like in "Pulp fiction" where Vincent Vega has to scrub the brain of the guy he accidentally shot from the car seats).

To be continued.

Attachments: ada1a773c8ee6118d2f141f2511abd515b165f81ac1e9649b60eb11a2d00c912.jpg
Re: Violence in movies

<soc.138.2vl06j@anon.com>

 copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=89&group=rocksolid.social#89

From: pos...@anon.com (Anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.social
Subject: Re: Violence in movies
Date: Fri, 01 Jan 2021 10:08:44 -0800
logging-data="2464"; mail-complaints-to="usenet@rocksolidbbs.com"
 by: Anonymous - Fri, 1 Jan 2021 18:08 UTC

Second part:

Some particular aspects of violence in movies:

Gunfights: precision of handguns is usually exaggerated. Destructive potential of automatic weapons is usually underrated.
Usually more crappy to watch,

Swordfights: usually total crap, with some notable exceptions. Special crap: the unarmed hero disarms the villain with the sword and/or kills him with his own weapon. I don't think so.

Spacebattles: kind of abstract to me, and hard to measure the proximity to real life...because it is not real life yet :-)
Would to interesting to know if in a couple of centuries if those things would happen how close it would be to our todays science fiction. If you look at science fiction more than 100 years old, I would say some of it is pretty close or even spot on So, could be that way one day, or not...
Still, kind of curious to watch for me, a bit like fireworks.

Historic battles: yeah, why not. Usually not very close to reality (I guess) but kind of fun to watch for the group aspect of it.

Mass battles in fantasy flics: depends. LOTR was not too bad for me, pretty close to the books, too. For GOT I found the big slaughter scenes more on the boring side (the fight between Sir Gregor and Prince Oberon on the other hand...nice...maybe a little too much prancing on the princes' side, but nice to watch, except the end of course, which brings us back to the real side of violence, which is ugly :-)

--
Posted on def2

Re: Violence in movies

<soc.139.4bf0ej@anon.com>

 copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=90&group=rocksolid.social#90

From: pos...@anon.com (Anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.social
Date: Sun, 03 Jan 2021 09:23:49 -0800
logging-data="27483"; mail-complaints-to="usenet@def5.org"
 by: Anonymous - Sun, 3 Jan 2021 17:23 UTC

Third part:

And what is about violence anyway ?

Why is the topic as such drawing my and other peoples attention at all ? Why is it that so many movies have these elements ?

That is maybe the most interesting question. From a rational point of view, violence is something to be avoided, and most people do not have it as a part of their lives. It is sanctioned by most societies, with the usual exceptions (police, soldiers, or generally when attacked by others).
My guess why the general motive of violence is still very popular in stories or movies is that it induces some strong feelings. The part of the brain dealing with fight-or-flight situations is a very old one, and if activated it overrules other parts by far, to ensure immediate physical survival of the individual before taking care of other things.
That is why the rational part of the brain does not work very well if individuals are in fight mode (strong aggressive impulse) or in flight mode (strong impulse of fear). That is also why some individuals can do things in extreme situations that they would not be capable of in normal circumstances.
And just like children, who like to be subjected to fearful situations in a controlled way (like: being thrown into the air and caught again), I believe also adults enjoy the same. We like to tickle this part of our brain in a controlled way, by watching somebody on screen doing stuff that we would never dare, or even want to.
Then there are the few for which this is not enough, and they start doing it in real life. :-)

--
Posted on def2