Anything cut to length will be too short.

computers / alt.privacy.anon-server / QSL Thoughts on the Future

SubjectAuthor
* QSL Thoughts on the FutureAnonymous
`* Re: QSL Thoughts on the FutureNomen Nescio
 `* Re: QSL Thoughts on the Futurefranco
  +* Re: QSL Thoughts on the FutureAnonymous
  |`* Re: QSL Thoughts on the Futurefranco
  | `* Re: QSL Thoughts on the FutureNomen Nescio
  |  `* Re: QSL Thoughts on the FutureNomen Nescio
  |   `- Re: QSL Thoughts on the FutureAnonymous
  +* Re: QSL Thoughts on the FutureNomen Nescio
  |`* Re: QSL Thoughts on the Futurefranco
  | +- Re: QSL Thoughts on the FutureAnonymous Remailer (austria)
  | `* Re: QSL Thoughts on the FutureAnonymous
  |  `* Re: QSL Thoughts on the FutureNomen Nescio
  |   `* Re: QSL Thoughts on the FutureStefan Claas
  |    +* Re: QSL Thoughts on the FutureYamn Remailer
  |    |`* Re: QSL Thoughts on the FutureRamblin' Jack
  |    | +- Re: QSL Thoughts on the Futurecheshire
  |    | `* Re: QSL Thoughts on the Futuregeppo
  |    |  `* Re: QSL Thoughts on the FutureNomen Nescio
  |    |   +- Re: QSL Thoughts on the Futuregeppo
  |    |   `- Re: QSL Thoughts on the Futureelvis-85792
  |    `* Re: QSL Thoughts on the FutureNomen Nescio
  |     +* Re: QSL Thoughts on the FutureStefan Claas
  |     |+* Re: QSL Thoughts on the FutureNomen Nescio
  |     ||`- Re: QSL Thoughts on the FutureStefan Claas
  |     |`* Re: QSL Thoughts on the FutureAnonymous
  |     | `- Re: QSL Thoughts on the FutureStefan Claas
  |     `* Re: QSL Thoughts on the FutureAnonymous
  |      `- Re: QSL Thoughts on the FutureAnonymous Remailer (austria)
  +- Re: QSL Thoughts on the FutureFritz Wuehler
  `* Re: QSL Thoughts on the FutureNomen Nescio
   +- Re: QSL Thoughts on the FutureNomen Nescio
   `- Re: QSL Thoughts on the FutureAnonymous Remailer (austria)

Pages:12
QSL Thoughts on the Future

<6000a6f512b176c359059278ee6e813d@remailer.paranoici.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9182&group=alt.privacy.anon-server#9182

From: nob...@remailer.paranoici.org (Anonymous)
Comments: This message did not originate from the Sender address above.
It was remailed automatically by anonymizing remailer software.
Please report problems or inappropriate use to the
remailer administrator at <abuse@remailer.paranoici.org>.
Subject: QSL Thoughts on the Future
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2021 12:57:50 +0200 (CEST)
Newsgroups: alt.privacy.anon-server
 by: Anonymous - Sun, 22 Aug 2021 10:57 UTC

QSL usage concerns me. It's pretty obvious it's days are numbered. Sad.

Were it not for QSL I wouldn't be here today. And I'm thankful for that.

But QSL is a dead project.

It is unmaintained security software and that's not good. Not good at
all. We probably should not be using abandonware.

I've started to try and learn Omnimix.

I am so lost but I'm determined to learn.

And I know it's an active project and there are folks here who can help.

Re: QSL Thoughts on the Future

<6fb05b3097597d0b648fccfd43d6936c@dizum.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9183&group=alt.privacy.anon-server#9183

From: nob...@dizum.com (Nomen Nescio)
remailer administrator at <abuse@dizum.com>.
Subject: Re: QSL Thoughts on the Future
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2021 14:34:44 +0200 (CEST)
Newsgroups: alt.privacy.anon-server
 by: Nomen Nescio - Sun, 22 Aug 2021 12:34 UTC

In article <6000a6f512b176c359059278ee6e813d@remailer.paranoici.org>
Anonymous <nobody@remailer.paranoici.org> wrote:

> QSL usage concerns me. It's pretty obvious it's days are numbered. Sad.
>
> Were it not for QSL I wouldn't be here today. And I'm thankful for that.
>
> But QSL is a dead project.
>
> It is unmaintained security software and that's not good. Not good at
> all. We probably should not be using abandonware.
>
> I've started to try and learn Omnimix.
>
> I am so lost but I'm determined to learn.
>
> And I know it's an active project and there are folks here who can help.

Your efforts are crowned with success - Congrats!
And welcome to the club! :-)

Re: QSL Thoughts on the Future

<6qo5ig1hl5l63j0arkoh97tljgthrnsdlc@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9185&group=alt.privacy.anon-server#9185

From: fra...@pizza.forever.com
Newsgroups: alt.privacy.anon-server
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2021 18:53:13 -0500
 by: fra...@pizza.forever.com - Sun, 22 Aug 2021 23:53 UTC

On Sun, 22 Aug 2021 14:34:44 +0200 (CEST), Nomen Nescio
<nobody@dizum.com> wrote:

>In article <6000a6f512b176c359059278ee6e813d@remailer.paranoici.org>
>Anonymous <nobody@remailer.paranoici.org> wrote:
>
>> QSL usage concerns me. It's pretty obvious it's days are numbered. Sad.
>>
>> Were it not for QSL I wouldn't be here today. And I'm thankful for that.
>>
>> But QSL is a dead project.

It still works.

>> It is unmaintained security software and that's not good. Not good at
>> all. We probably should not be using abandonware.

Another Omnimix adware fiend. they've been after QSL for years.

TrueCrypt is "abandonware", too. It still works and hasn't been
compromised according to recent audits.

The tekkie elitists never did get over how simple Christman made QSL
for the non tekkie posters. They are trying to kill QSL with Omnimix
and YAMN.

QSL works! Screw the elitists bunch.

Re: QSL Thoughts on the Future

<17c0cc63108cab12f0f404ff8b0eaeb0@remailer.paranoici.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9188&group=alt.privacy.anon-server#9188

Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2021 04:27:42 +0200 (CEST)
Newsgroups: alt.privacy.anon-server
 by: Anonymous - Mon, 23 Aug 2021 02:27 UTC

On 8/22/2021 6:53 PM, franco@pizza.forever.com wrote:

> On Sun, 22 Aug 2021 14:34:44 +0200 (CEST), Nomen Nescio
> <nobody@dizum.com> wrote:
>
>> In article <6000a6f512b176c359059278ee6e813d@remailer.paranoici.org>
>> Anonymous <nobody@remailer.paranoici.org> wrote:
>>
>>> QSL usage concerns me. It's pretty obvious it's days are numbered. Sad.
>>>
>>> Were it not for QSL I wouldn't be here today. And I'm thankful for that.
>>>
>>> But QSL is a dead project.
>
> It still works.
>
>>> It is unmaintained security software and that's not good. Not good at
>>> all. We probably should not be using abandonware.
>
> Another Omnimix adware fiend. they've been after QSL for years.
>
> TrueCrypt is "abandonware", too. It still works and hasn't been
> compromised according to recent audits.
>
> The tekkie elitists never did get over how simple Christman made QSL
> for the non tekkie posters. They are trying to kill QSL with Omnimix
> and YAMN.
>
> QSL works! Screw the elitists bunch.

Years ago, the QSL vs: Omnimix Flame War was settled by Richard himself
right here on a-p-a-s. Richard praised Omnimix and gave it high marks.
And that ended it.

Where were you?

"They are trying to kill QSL with Omnimix
and YAMN."

What a bucket of crap that statement is.

Re: QSL Thoughts on the Future

<889d88c22a825a296223ff8b06cbd2fa@dizum.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9189&group=alt.privacy.anon-server#9189

Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2021 04:29:05 +0200 (CEST)
Newsgroups: alt.privacy.anon-server
 by: Nomen Nescio - Mon, 23 Aug 2021 02:29 UTC

On 8/22/2021 6:53 PM, franco@pizza.forever.com uttered:

SNIP

> The tekkie elitists never did get over how simple Christman made QSL
> for the non tekkie posters. They are trying to kill QSL with Omnimix
> and YAMN.
>
> QSL works! Screw the elitists bunch.

Tekkie Elitists?

Zax himself wrote the YAMN code.

You're accusing him of trying to kill off QSL?

Like Richard, many of us wouldn't be here were it not for Steve's
fine work over the years.

Come on, Man. Stop being such an obstinate defensive prick.

Re: QSL Thoughts on the Future

<h646ig5rutmdiusfovklmrsp99cvtpicbm@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9191&group=alt.privacy.anon-server#9191

From: fra...@pizza.forever.com
Newsgroups: alt.privacy.anon-server
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2021 22:31:31 -0500
 by: fra...@pizza.forever.com - Mon, 23 Aug 2021 03:31 UTC

On Mon, 23 Aug 2021 04:27:42 +0200 (CEST), Anonymous
<nobody@remailer.paranoici.org> wrote:

>On 8/22/2021 6:53 PM, franco@pizza.forever.com wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 22 Aug 2021 14:34:44 +0200 (CEST), Nomen Nescio
>> <nobody@dizum.com> wrote:

>> It still works.

>> Another Omnimix adware fiend. they've been after QSL for years.
>>
>> TrueCrypt is "abandonware", too. It still works and hasn't been
>> compromised according to recent audits.
>>
>> The tekkie elitists never did get over how simple Christman made QSL
>> for the non tekkie posters. They are trying to kill QSL with Omnimix
>> and YAMN.
>>
>> QSL works! Screw the elitists bunch.
>>

>Years ago, the QSL vs: Omnimix Flame War was settled by Richard himself
>right here on a-p-a-s. Richard praised Omnimix and gave it high marks.
>And that ended it.
>
>Where were you?

Learn to read and comprehend. I never said Omnimix did not do the
job. And I don't care if it's "better" than QSL.

My entire point is that Omnimix is too complex and beyond the
so-called learning level the average poster wants to deal with.

My entire post was around the point that QSL is still usable and
secure.

Once again - learn how to read AND comprehend you tekkie, insecure
elitists.

You shit-for-understanding tekkies are the worst communicators in the
civilized world. It's rare for one like Christman to come around
infrequently and translate your elitist efforts into usability by the
average non tekkie. It hurts your swollen egos of superiority for us
dummies to be able to share the wealth of your technology.

You're constantly posting OT crap about Linux into Windows groups,
explaining how superior you jerks are over Windows users. Why can't
you just accept that other people have a right to a thing called
'choice'?

Re: QSL Thoughts on the Future

<kl56ig1v7ek01hk6a3obje457v57lksklj@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9192&group=alt.privacy.anon-server#9192

From: fra...@pizza.forever.com
Newsgroups: alt.privacy.anon-server
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2021 22:39:50 -0500
 by: fra...@pizza.forever.com - Mon, 23 Aug 2021 03:39 UTC

On Mon, 23 Aug 2021 04:29:05 +0200 (CEST), Nomen Nescio
<nobody@dizum.com> wrote:

>On 8/22/2021 6:53 PM, franco@pizza.forever.com uttered:
>
> SNIP
>>
>> The tekkie elitists never did get over how simple Christman made QSL
>> for the non tekkie posters. They are trying to kill QSL with Omnimix
>> and YAMN.
>>
>> QSL works! Screw the elitists bunch.
>

>Tekkie Elitists?
>
>Zax himself wrote the YAMN code.
>
>You're accusing him of trying to kill off QSL?

Of course he is. He wrote YAMN. YAMN is being pushed constantly in
this group. It will be updated. QSL won't. At a point, QSL will be
unusable because some awipe troublemaker will find a hack in it
somewhere.

>Like Richard, many of us wouldn't be here were it not for Steve's
>fine work over the years.

Big deal. So use "Steve's fine work" and stop trying demean usage of
QSL. I know that makes you seem less of an authority on tekkie
matters, but suck it up.

>Come on, Man. Stop being such an obstinate defensive prick.

Oh, I see, if I defend QSL usage I'm a "defensive prick".? How about
"offensive pricks" like yourself who demean everyone who is a notch
behind what you choose to use?

Suck it up and grow up. People have choices.

Re: QSL Thoughts on the Future

<094740e0e7cdebb28d6c5941b969151c@remailer.privacy.at>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9193&group=alt.privacy.anon-server#9193

From: mixmas...@remailer.privacy.at (Anonymous Remailer (austria))
remailer administrator at <abuse@remailer.privacy.at>.
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2021 06:38:51 +0200 (CEST)
Newsgroups: alt.privacy.anon-server
 by: Anonymous Remailer ( - Mon, 23 Aug 2021 04:38 UTC

In article <kl56ig1v7ek01hk6a3obje457v57lksklj@4ax.com>
franco@pizza.forever.com wrote:

> On Mon, 23 Aug 2021 04:29:05 +0200 (CEST), Nomen Nescio
> <nobody@dizum.com> wrote:
>
> >On 8/22/2021 6:53 PM, franco@pizza.forever.com uttered:
> >
> > SNIP
> >>
> >> The tekkie elitists never did get over how simple Christman made QSL
> >> for the non tekkie posters. They are trying to kill QSL with Omnimix
> >> and YAMN.
> >>
> >> QSL works! Screw the elitists bunch.
> >

> >Tekkie Elitists?
> >
> >Zax himself wrote the YAMN code.
> >
> >You're accusing him of trying to kill off QSL?
>
> Of course he is. He wrote YAMN. YAMN is being pushed constantly in
> this group.

SMH. Steve is a smart fellow who has made numerous
contributions to anonymous communications, and no he is not
trying to kill off QS or QSL. He has made every effort to
accomodate and maintain the resources they use.

Re: QSL Thoughts on the Future

<e2029b99b77b4abc4ea84448f1c856a4@msgid.frell.theremailer.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9194&group=alt.privacy.anon-server#9194

From: fri...@spamexpire-202108.rodent.frell.theremailer.net (Fritz Wuehler)
remailer administrator at <abuse@frell.theremailer.net>.
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2021 05:02:36 +0000
Newsgroups: alt.privacy.anon-server
 by: Fritz Wuehler - Mon, 23 Aug 2021 05:02 UTC

In article <6qo5ig1hl5l63j0arkoh97tljgthrnsdlc@4ax.com>
franco@pizza.forever.com wrote:

> On Sun, 22 Aug 2021 14:34:44 +0200 (CEST), Nomen Nescio
> <nobody@dizum.com> wrote:
>
> >In article <6000a6f512b176c359059278ee6e813d@remailer.paranoici.org>
> >Anonymous <nobody@remailer.paranoici.org> wrote:
> >
> >> QSL usage concerns me. It's pretty obvious it's days are numbered. Sad.
> >>
> >> Were it not for QSL I wouldn't be here today. And I'm thankful for that.
> >>
> >> But QSL is a dead project.
>
> It still works.
>
> >> It is unmaintained security software and that's not good. Not good at
> >> all. We probably should not be using abandonware.
>
> Another Omnimix adware fiend. they've been after QSL for years.
>
> TrueCrypt is "abandonware", too. It still works and hasn't been
> compromised according to recent audits.
>
> The tekkie elitists never did get over how simple Christman made QSL
> for the non tekkie posters. They are trying to kill QSL with Omnimix
> and YAMN.
>
> QSL works! Screw the elitists bunch.

Dude, put down the crack pipe.

Re: QSL Thoughts on the Future

<542b444469d803db0fbd3bed25c93671@dizum.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9197&group=alt.privacy.anon-server#9197

Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2021 14:20:27 +0200 (CEST)
Newsgroups: alt.privacy.anon-server
 by: Nomen Nescio - Mon, 23 Aug 2021 12:20 UTC

On 8/22/2021 10:31 PM, franco@pizza.forever.com wrote:

> My entire point is that Omnimix is too complex and beyond the
> so-called learning level the average poster wants to deal with.> My entire post was around the point that QSL is still usable and
> secure.

QSL IS usable. I use it myself. Again, you're not alone. Were it not for
Richard and his brilliantly simple tool, QSL, I would have been gone
long ago. Not only did Richard create this wonderful invention, he was
around to support it.

QSL is certainly usable. Secure? I guess it is. I hope it is.

Remember a few years back after the SSL Heartbleed fiasco? Richard
updated the QSL libraries to mitigate that attack.

There is no one around today to update the code. Nobody.
That's a real problem. That bothers me. It should bother you too.

But nobody is trying to kill QSL. Sheesh.

> Once again - learn how to read AND comprehend you tekkie, insecure
> elitists.

Man, knock off your childish immature rant. And an irrational rant it
is. Insecure elitists my ass.

You're not stupid.

You see the future clearly. And the future does not include QSL and
Mixmaster. And that absolutely terrorizes you. You're intimidated. It
sends you into a blind, insecure, frightened rage. You are afraid of the
future. You have my deepest sympathies. Quite obviously, the only secure
one here, is you. Your insecurity is a flag flapping wildly in the wind
for all to see. Get over it. Deal with it.

> You shit-for-understanding tekkies are the worst communicators in the
> civilized world. It's rare for one like Christman to come around
> infrequently and translate your elitist efforts into usability by the
> average non tekkie. It hurts your swollen egos of superiority for us
> dummies to be able to share the wealth of your technology.

Spare me of your little butthurt childish rant. It's all horseshit anyway.

> You're constantly posting OT crap about Linux into Windows groups,
> explaining how superior you jerks are over Windows users. Why can't
> you just accept that other people have a right to a thing called
> 'choice'?

You're totally delusional. You've got your sock puppets all mixed up here.

You've lost track of who's who. Trust me you really do. You're just
lashing out at the world. Get a grip.

No one, absolutely no one said you do not have a choice. No one says we
do not have a choice. We do. I do. You do. Stop being a professional
victim here. That is where you are delusional. You're conjuring up
things that no one said. Learn to read.

I still use QSL. It's a breeze for me after all these years.

But when Steve created YAMN, I knew I had to take a look. Steve was
shining a light into the future.

I was puzzled, and baffled.

But I'm persistent.

I sat down about a year ago determined, and after endless trial and
error I learned YAMN. It's not all that difficult. Not at all. It's got
about the same learning curve as QSL. But sadly with YAMN, there are no
Help files, and no one central person to support it.

When QSL was first introduced, lots of people struggled with that too
including me. It's not quite as simple as you make it out to be.

You still have to have some semblance of a brain to use it.

The recent posts here during the last few weeks requesting QSL support
clearly show that people still have some trouble with QSL even after all
these years. But that would be true with any software. And it's normal.

I don't like the YAMN interface much on Windows. I find it somewhat
clunky and awkward. Not as polished as QSL. But I appreciate the work
INWTX invested in it. And now it's usage is dead simple for me.

And I can fire off an anonymous post in the same amount of quick time
with YAMN as I can as QSL.

Re: QSL Thoughts on the Future

<390e66f023f21629ff54786a724dfac5@remailer.paranoici.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9201&group=alt.privacy.anon-server#9201

Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2021 19:17:37 +0200 (CEST)
Newsgroups: alt.privacy.anon-server
 by: Anonymous - Mon, 23 Aug 2021 17:17 UTC

On 8/22/2021 10:39 PM, franco@pizza.forever.com wrote:

>> Zax himself wrote the YAMN code.
>>
>> You're accusing him of trying to kill off QSL?
>
> Of course he is. He wrote YAMN. YAMN is being pushed constantly in
> this group. It will be updated. QSL won't. At a point, QSL will be
> unusable because some awipe troublemaker will find a hack in it
> somewhere.

Seldom if ever, have I seen Steve attacked over the years. But you did.

Thankfully, Steve's too busy to dignify your unsupported fictitious
assertions with a proper reply.

Cry me a river.

Re: QSL Thoughts on the Future

<654893e438a7d1506118132abec15bdd@dizum.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9203&group=alt.privacy.anon-server#9203

Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2021 22:32:46 +0200 (CEST)
Newsgroups: alt.privacy.anon-server
 by: Nomen Nescio - Mon, 23 Aug 2021 20:32 UTC

Anonymous <nobody@remailer.paranoici.org> wrote:
>On 8/22/2021 10:39 PM, franco@pizza.forever.com wrote:
>
>>> Zax himself wrote the YAMN code.
>>>
>>> You're accusing him of trying to kill off QSL?
>>
>> Of course he is. He wrote YAMN. YAMN is being pushed constantly in
>> this group. It will be updated. QSL won't. At a point, QSL will be
>> unusable because some awipe troublemaker will find a hack in it
>> somewhere.
>
>Seldom if ever, have I seen Steve attacked over the years. But you did.

Not attacked, but critisized for constantly trying to establish
incompatible backend software that splits up the developer and user
community.

Don't get me wrong, he's certainly an important, if not the most
important person on the remailer scene, and we owe him a lot. But
constantly producing and promoting incompatible code not thinking about
migration paths is a strategic disaster.

Instead of improving the GHIO nymserver software there all of a sudden
were two alternatives that added absolutely nothing but confusion. And
sure, we needed improved cryptography with Mixmaster, and mostly
compatible 4k-RSA-Mixmaster was broadly accepted despite its reduced
chain length. But now YAMN, a completely new protocol and data
structure without any relevant improvements, and not even returning to
the once for compatibility reasons sacrificed 20 hop chain length,
nevertheless incompatible with all existing frontends?

What's coming next? Do we all have to stand at attention when Zax once
again gets down to learn another programming language? Would you invest
time and make huge efforts to implement a communication method when all
of it changes every now and then? No wonder anonymous remailing carves
out a miserable existence.

>Thankfully, Steve's too busy to dignify your unsupported fictitious
>assertions with a proper reply.
>
>Cry me a river.

Sure, that makes me cry.

Re: QSL Thoughts on the Future

<b56c7182-0615-4303-9f2f-e992c750e962n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9204&group=alt.privacy.anon-server#9204

Newsgroups: alt.privacy.anon-server
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2021 14:47:49 -0700 (PDT)
From: spam.tra...@gmail.com (Stefan Claas)
 by: Stefan Claas - Mon, 23 Aug 2021 21:47 UTC

On Monday, August 23, 2021 at 10:32:53 PM UTC+2, Nomen Nescio wrote:
> Anonymous <nob...@remailer.paranoici.org> wrote:

> >> Of course he is. He wrote YAMN. YAMN is being pushed constantly in
> >> this group. It will be updated. QSL won't. At a point, QSL will be
> >> unusable because some awipe troublemaker will find a hack in it
> >> somewhere.
> >
> >Seldom if ever, have I seen Steve attacked over the years. But you did.
> Not attacked, but critisized for constantly trying to establish
> incompatible backend software that splits up the developer and user
> community.
>
> Don't get me wrong, he's certainly an important, if not the most
> important person on the remailer scene, and we owe him a lot. But
> constantly producing and promoting incompatible code not thinking about
> migration paths is a strategic disaster.
>
> Instead of improving the GHIO nymserver software there all of a sudden
> were two alternatives that added absolutely nothing but confusion. And
> sure, we needed improved cryptography with Mixmaster, and mostly
> compatible 4k-RSA-Mixmaster was broadly accepted despite its reduced
> chain length. But now YAMN, a completely new protocol and data
> structure without any relevant improvements, and not even returning to
> the once for compatibility reasons sacrificed 20 hop chain length,
> nevertheless incompatible with all existing frontends?
>
> What's coming next? Do we all have to stand at attention when Zax once
> again gets down to learn another programming language? Would you invest
> time and make huge efforts to implement a communication method when all
> of it changes every now and then? No wonder anonymous remailing carves
> out a miserable existence.

Sorry for the full quote!

No one and I mean no one is forced to use YAMN or his Nym Server!

YAMN, as you may know is command line compatible with Mixmaster,
so Christian could, if someone would ask him, offer the community
an additional Omniyamn, or whatever you like to call it, besides Omnimix.

No one is maintaining QSL. If there would be a maintainer the same could
be done for QSL.

inwtx, as you may know, has written an easy to use front-end for YAMN.
The free Pascal Compiler he uses (I forgot the name) is also available
for Linux and macOS AFAIR.

Does YAMN has any advantages over Mixmaster4k? I would say yes,
because the Mixmaster4 team, consisting of it's inventor and two
other known people, were one passed away, exist only on paper.
Has Elvis time and does he like to bring Mixmaster4 to life?

YAMN as it currently stands is written in modern Golang, with modern
crypto algos and fixed the tagging attack possibility Mixmaster has.

Chances are good that in case Zax would change interests or retires later
that people, of the many thousands Golang programmers could take over
quickly and in case it will be needed could add Quantum Computer resistant
crypto libraries, when needed. I say this because I strongly believe that Google
and other crypto programmers are quick, once NIST, for example has announced
the final winners of round three.

YAMN can run on more than 26 differrent platforms also on tablets or
smartphones, in case people like to do so.

What else do we have on the table for remailing? There is Katzenpost,
written in Golang too, but it is not making much progress as a usable
Mixnet, for remailing email messages yet, same goes currently for Nym,
because they still focus on other things.

So in the end as it stands now, we all should be *very very thankful* that
Zax invented YAMN and that people like sec3, inwtx, others and me
are (still) helping people out here when it comes to YAMN usage, while
Zax may be probably busy with real life and can't chime in here much.

If people are in need for further Mixmaster and Ghio Nym developement
I would suggest that you look for yourself for programmers up to this task
and consider doing a crowdfunding to convince them why this is needed.

Good luck with that and I really mean this!

Regards
Stefan

Re: QSL Thoughts on the Future

<e43575b118787a7cd13a08c2a7370d25@dizum.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9206&group=alt.privacy.anon-server#9206

Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2021 01:29:16 +0200 (CEST)
Newsgroups: alt.privacy.anon-server
 by: Nomen Nescio - Mon, 23 Aug 2021 23:29 UTC

franco@pizza.forever.com wrote:

> Another Omnimix adware fiend.

Please point us to the OmniMix code that makes it adware.

<https://danner-net.de/om/OmniMix_IDE_2.5.1_Uno_Setup.exe>

Re: QSL Thoughts on the Future

<7b907d6fb52bc7f06e4372137cec4136@dizum.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9207&group=alt.privacy.anon-server#9207

Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2021 03:06:36 +0200 (CEST)
Newsgroups: alt.privacy.anon-server
 by: Nomen Nescio - Tue, 24 Aug 2021 01:06 UTC

On 8/23/2021 6:29 PM, Nomen Nescio wrote:

> franco@pizza.forever.com wrote:
>
>> Another Omnimix adware fiend.
>
> Please point us to the OmniMix code that makes it adware.
>
> <https://danner-net.de/om/OmniMix_IDE_2.5.1_Uno_Setup.exe>

The original statement was total FUD

Re: QSL Thoughts on the Future

<20210824.110632.a5400e9d@mix1.remailer.xyz>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9210&group=alt.privacy.anon-server#9210

Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2021 11:06:32 +0200
From: nore...@mix1.remailer.xyz (Yamn Remailer)
Newsgroups: alt.privacy.anon-server
 by: Yamn Remailer - Tue, 24 Aug 2021 09:06 UTC

> Stefan Claas wrote:
> SNIPP
> Sorry for the full quote!
>
> No one and I mean no one is forced to use YAMN or his Nym Server!

+1

> SNIPP
>
> YAMN as it currently stands is written in modern Golang, with modern
> crypto algos and fixed the tagging attack possibility Mixmaster has.
>
> Chances are good that in case Zax would change interests or retires later
> that people, of the many thousands Golang programmers could take over
> quickly and in case it will be needed could add Quantum Computer resistant
> crypto libraries, when needed. I say this because I strongly believe that Google
> and other crypto programmers are quick, once NIST, for example has announced
> the final winners of round three.

+1

> YAMN can run on more than 26 differrent platforms also on tablets or
> smartphones, in case people like to do so.
>
> SNIPP
>
> So in the end as it stands now, we all should be *very very thankful* that
> Zax invented YAMN and that people like sec3, inwtx, others and me
> are (still) helping people out here when it comes to YAMN usage, while
> Zax may be probably busy with real life and can't chime in here much.

+1

> If people are in need for further Mixmaster and Ghio Nym developement
> I would suggest that you look for yourself for programmers up to this task
> and consider doing a crowdfunding to convince them why this is needed.

+1

Re: QSL Thoughts on the Future

<f10bea6f277ca1a17792f1fb1daa62aa@remailer.privacy.at>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9211&group=alt.privacy.anon-server#9211

Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2021 11:39:36 +0200 (CEST)
Newsgroups: alt.privacy.anon-server,alt.privacy,alt.comp.os.windows-10
 by: Anonymous Remailer ( - Tue, 24 Aug 2021 09:39 UTC

In article <e43575b118787a7cd13a08c2a7370d25@dizum.com>
Nomen Nescio <nobody@dizum.com> wrote:

> franco@pizza.forever.com wrote:
>
> > Another Omnimix adware fiend.
>
> Please point us to the OmniMix code that makes it adware.
>
> <https://danner-net.de/om/OmniMix_IDE_2.5.1_Uno_Setup.exe>

You know it's there. He said so!

Re: QSL Thoughts on the Future

<sg2odq$2d3$1@news.mixmin.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9214&group=alt.privacy.anon-server#9214

From: ramblinj...@mixnym.net (Ramblin' Jack)
Newsgroups: alt.privacy.anon-server
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2021 07:24:23 -0500
 by: Ramblin' Jack - Tue, 24 Aug 2021 12:24 UTC

On 8/24/2021 4:06 AM, Yamn Remailer wrote:

>> If people are in need for further Mixmaster and Ghio Nym developement
>> I would suggest that you look for yourself for programmers up to this task
>> and consider doing a crowdfunding to convince them why this is needed.
>>
> +1

It makes me cry too.

Let's face it. We are clinging to the carcass of what was once a
glorious and formidable beast. Anonymous remailing. Remarkably, it still
works, but what is the future?

This remailing tool addressed the communications platforms of email and
Usenet communication. That's all. Nothing more.

But The world is on mobile now. I think it's safe to say, perhaps that
over half the world's population does not even own a personal computer.
That's not good for our team and further development, or so it seems.

I can't sound the death knell of email. It likely won't ever die.

But take a look at your own social circle. How many people email you to
extend a holiday wish or birthday greeting? Very few. It's all mobile
now and instant messaging.

And now that is where the active development is. Signal, Briar, Session,
CWTCH, Matrix et al. All those tools that are designed provide
encrypted, sometimes anonymous communications on mobile. I'd love to see
crowd funding and active forward development of Mixmaster and compatible
front ends. Yes, there are some interesting concepts out there, but
color me skeptical that any of this will ever happen at all.

All the old developers are gone. We miss them all. Len is gone, Richard
is gone, Reece is gone. and I'll go out on a limb and say we aren't
going to see Steve around forever. His occupation and family life has
all his time. Thankfully, he maintains his systems, but his active
participation here has dwindled down to a few scant posts a year. Steve
will be the next one out the door.

Mention email to someone under 40 and they look at you cross eyed and
laugh derisively.

Email Mixmaster Nyms address pseudonymous email.

But pull up a list of active nyms from one of the few remaining nym
servers and how many people are there? How many active Ghio style nym
users are there? 100 maybe? I don't think I'm far off. Who's interested
in Ghio nyms aside from a handful of us anyway? I can't even generate
the slightest interest in some of the sharp young bucks who themselves
are interested in anonymous communications.

Usenet? That is so 1993. It won't die either, but who uses that anymore
aside from us old farts here who have nothing better to do than hurl
insults at each other from our Lazy Boys with a heating pad on our sore
backs.

Rempos have dwindled down to a handful.Exit remailers look to be a
dangerously extinct species. I think at one time we had over 30.
Remailng seems to be mor of a hobby now that an actual need anymore.

But I'll still be here.

It makes me cry too.

Re: QSL Thoughts on the Future

<9c61f030ce06e46052f80fb31c8659c3@dizum.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9241&group=alt.privacy.anon-server#9241

Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2021 11:51:06 +0200 (CEST)
Newsgroups: alt.privacy.anon-server
 by: Nomen Nescio - Wed, 25 Aug 2021 09:51 UTC

> I don't like the YAMN interface much on Windows. I find it somewhat
> clunky and awkward. Not as polished as QSL. But I appreciate the work
> INWTX invested in it. And now it's usage is dead simple for me.

I like my mail & news client's interface with all its options most.

> And I can fire off an anonymous post in the same amount of quick time
> with YAMN as I can as QSL.

Even quicker:
- <r> for creating a reply message
- Writing text
- Optionally select different routing/nym preset from a pull-down menu
- <CTRL>+<n> for sending that reply now

That's what has to be outcompeted.

Re: QSL Thoughts on the Future

<840daf0ec6359c47333dc29ef123a286@dizum.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9242&group=alt.privacy.anon-server#9242

Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2021 14:22:03 +0200 (CEST)
Newsgroups: alt.privacy.anon-server
 by: Nomen Nescio - Wed, 25 Aug 2021 12:22 UTC

Stefan Claas <spam.trap.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:

> YAMN, as you may know is command line compatible with Mixmaster,

I just copied SEC3's yamn-master-windows-386.exe (SHA256 checksum
b7fbc088081df129938a10e96db187be531b3e75f66490ff62eaa97d8350ca29)
renamed to mix.exe into OM's mix folder and tried to send a dummy
message.

Log list output:

| --:--:23.086 0 Processing message with Mixmaster ...
| --:--:23.096 0 Waiting for Mixmaster access permission ...
| --:--:23.116 0 Calling Mixmaster (parameters: '-m -v -c 2 -l *,*,* om\0.mxt') ...
| --:--:23.581 0 Mixmaster encryption completed
| --:--:23.591 0 Trying to retrieve files from the pool 'C:\Program Files\OmniMix\mix\pool\'
| --:--:23.591 0 Got 0 chunks for 2 copies
| --:--:23.691 0 -------> Mixmaster encryption failed: Mixmaster returned no files
| --:--:23.701 D Dummy message sending error: Sending error (anon): Mixmaster encryption failed: Mixmaster returned no files

Mix Data list output:

| ################################################################################
| Mixmaster Reply (Task 0):
| flag provided but not defined: -v
| Usage of C:\Program Files\OmniMix\mix\mix.exe:
| -D Start remailer as a daemon. (Requires -M
| -M Perform routine remailer actions
| -R Read a message from stdin
| -S Force pool send
| -V Print version string
| -c int
| Number of copies
| -chain string
| Remailer chain
| -config string
| Config file
| -copies int
| Number of copies
| -d Inject a dummy message
| -daemon
| Start remailer as a daemon. (Requires -M
| -debug
| Print detailed config
| -dir string
| Base directory (default "/etc/yamn")
| -dummy
| Inject a dummy message
| -l string
| Remailer chain
| -m Function as a client
| -mail
| Function as a client
| -meminfo
| Print memory info
| -nodummy
| Don't send dummies
| -read-mail
| Read a message from stdin
| -refresh
| Refresh remailer stats files
| -remailer
| Perform routine remailer actions
| -s string
| Subject header
| -send
| Force pool send
| -stdout
| Write message to stdout
| -subject string
| Subject header
| -t string
| Recipient email address
| -to string
| Recipient email address
| -version
| Print version string

Means you're babbling nonsense.

Re: QSL Thoughts on the Future

<e0cd71fe61fc8541d6d92aba8c7b8afc@remailer.paranoici.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9245&group=alt.privacy.anon-server#9245

Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2021 16:12:37 +0200 (CEST)
Newsgroups: alt.privacy.anon-server
 by: Anonymous - Wed, 25 Aug 2021 14:12 UTC

On 8/25/2021 4:51 AM, Nomen Nescio wrote:
>> I don't like the YAMN interface much on Windows. I find it somewhat
>> clunky and awkward. Not as polished as QSL. But I appreciate the work
>> INWTX invested in it. And now it's usage is dead simple for me.
>
> I like my mail & news client's interface with all its options most.
>

>> And I can fire off an anonymous post in the same amount of quick time
>> with YAMN as I can as QSL.
>
> Even quicker:
> - <r> for creating a reply message
> - Writing text
> - Optionally select different routing/nym preset from a pull-down menu
> - <CTRL>+<n> for sending that reply now
>
> That's what has to be outcompeted.

Excellent.

Is there a key sequence or Hotkey that can be used to enlarge or expand
the YAMN window?

Re: QSL Thoughts on the Future

<938bc2c4-a0d9-4e0e-a835-c86ab5003c77n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9246&group=alt.privacy.anon-server#9246

Newsgroups: alt.privacy.anon-server
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2021 07:45:28 -0700 (PDT)
From: spam.tra...@gmail.com (Stefan Claas)
 by: Stefan Claas - Wed, 25 Aug 2021 14:45 UTC

On Wednesday, August 25, 2021 at 2:22:06 PM UTC+2, Nomen Nescio wrote:
> Stefan Claas <spam.tra...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > YAMN, as you may know is command line compatible with Mixmaster,
> I just copied SEC3's yamn-master-windows-386.exe (SHA256 checksum
> b7fbc088081df129938a10e96db187be531b3e75f66490ff62eaa97d8350ca29)
> renamed to mix.exe into OM's mix folder and tried to send a dummy
> message.
>
> Log list output:

[...]

> Means you're babbling nonsense.

No, ... look at the man page of Mixmaster and Zax's help file (and omit the -v)

Regards
Stefan

Re: QSL Thoughts on the Future

<e5b38ceb930168963d21a49b71eea223@dizum.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9247&group=alt.privacy.anon-server#9247

Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2021 19:35:51 +0200 (CEST)
Newsgroups: alt.privacy.anon-server
 by: Nomen Nescio - Wed, 25 Aug 2021 17:35 UTC

<https://github.com/merkinmuffley/mixmaster4096/blob/master/mixmaster.1>

<https://github.com/merkinmuffley/mixmaster4096/blob/master/Src/main.c>

| 484 "-v, --verbose output informational messages\n\
| 485 -f [file] read a mail folder\n\
| 486 --update-pinger-list Download an updated all pingers list file\n\
| 487 --update-stats[=source] Download updated stats\n"

Re: QSL Thoughts on the Future

<d675c7fb40dc6c2cacb1fad15eb79cb5@remailer.paranoici.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9248&group=alt.privacy.anon-server#9248

Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2021 19:44:05 +0200 (CEST)
Newsgroups: alt.privacy.anon-server
 by: Anonymous - Wed, 25 Aug 2021 17:44 UTC

On 8/25/2021 7:22 AM, Nomen Nescio wrote:

> Means you're babbling nonsense.

Best advice my Grandfather gave me:

"May the Good Lord open your mind and shut your mouth."

Re: QSL Thoughts on the Future

<7417538e-4eeb-485f-93ef-08e7cc494da3n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9249&group=alt.privacy.anon-server#9249

Newsgroups: alt.privacy.anon-server
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2021 11:05:38 -0700 (PDT)
References: <6000a6f512b176c359059278ee6e813d@remailer.paranoici.org> <6fb05b3097597d0b648fccfd43d6936c@dizum.com> <390e66f023f21629ff54786a724dfac5@remailer.paranoici.org> <654893e438a7d1506118132abec15bdd@dizum.com> <b56c7182-0615-4303-9f2f-e992c750e962n@googlegroups.com> <840daf0ec6359c47333dc29ef123a286@dizum.com> <938bc2c4-a0d9-4e0e-a835-c86ab5003c77n@googlegroups.com> <e5b38ceb930168963d21a49b71eea223@dizum.com>
From: spam.tra...@gmail.com (Stefan Claas)
 by: Stefan Claas - Wed, 25 Aug 2021 18:05 UTC

On Wednesday, August 25, 2021 at 7:35:57 PM UTC+2, Nomen Nescio wrote:
> Stefan Claas <spam.tra...@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> I just copied SEC3's yamn-master-windows-386.exe (SHA256 checksum
> >> b7fbc088081df129938a10e96db187be531b3e75f66490ff62eaa97d8350ca29)
> >> renamed to mix.exe into OM's mix folder and tried to send a dummy
> >> message.
> >>
> >> Log list output:
> >
> >[...]
> >
> >> Means you're babbling nonsense.
> >
> >No, ... look at the man page of Mixmaster and Zax's help file (and omit the -v)
> <https://github.com/merkinmuffley/mixmaster4096/blob/master/mixmaster.1>
>
> | 100 .B \-S, \-\-send
> | 101 Send the message(s) from the pool.
> | 102 .TP
> | 103 .B \-v, \-\-verbose
> | 104 Output informational messages.
> | 105 .TP
> | 106 .B "\-f\fR [\fIfile\fR]"
> | 107 Read a mail folder or news article. This function requires ncurses support.
>
> <https://github.com/merkinmuffley/mixmaster4096/blob/master/Src/main.c>
>
> | 484 "-v, --verbose output informational messages\n\
> | 485 -f [file] read a mail folder\n\
> | 486 --update-pinger-list Download an updated all pingers list file\n\
> | 487 --update-stats[=source] Download updated stats\n"

Yes, and what is the problem to modify Omnimix so that it uses the compatible
Mixmaster and YAMN parameters, or better said to change the source code
of Omnimix to provide an Omniyamn? I could look into it, but I am not the
author of Omnimix, nor do I need an Omniyamn or QSLyamn.

Regards
Stefan