From: jwalsh...@gmail.com (John Walsh)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.baseball.sf-giants
Subject: Apparently the Giants didn't do much when they shut out the Rockies yesterday
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2021 08:21:18 -1000
 by: John Walsh - Fri, 13 Aug 2021 18:21 UTC

East Coast bias much? Hardly a mention of the facts that the Giants
shut out the Rockies with a superb performance by Logan Webb, are
still the best team in MLB, still lead the West and at the time,
picked up another game on the Dodgers to widen their lead.

Giants 7 Rockies 0

Re: Apparently the Giants didn't do much when they shut out the Rockies yesterday

<sf6eo6$t8u$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=167&group=alt.sports.baseball.sf-giants#167

From: pol...@kfu.com (poldy)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.baseball.sf-giants
Subject: Re: Apparently the Giants didn't do much when they shut out the
Rockies yesterday
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2021 11:47:32 -0700
 by: poldy - Fri, 13 Aug 2021 18:47 UTC

On 8/13/21 11:21 AM, John Walsh wrote:
> East Coast bias much? Hardly a mention of the facts that the Giants
> shut out the Rockies with a superb performance by Logan Webb, are
> still the best team in MLB, still lead the West and at the time,
> picked up another game on the Dodgers to widen their lead.
>
> Giants 7 Rockies 0

If they win the division with the best record, wouldn't they face the
winner of the WC game?

Dodgers would be the first WC team and currently the Padres are the
second team but they could be caught by the Reds or Cards.

So Giants might have to face the Dodgers in the first round.

That would suck though Brewers could be a tough matchup too.

Ideally Dodgers would have to play the Brewers.

The team which wins the NL East would be weaker than maybe even the WC
teams, though if the Mets get deGrom back, he'd probably could pitch 3
games in a 7-game series.

Re: Apparently the Giants didn't do much when they shut out the Rockies yesterday

<5jaehg1bcls3v2fllh9esau4eig19o6ebu@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=170&group=alt.sports.baseball.sf-giants#170

From: jwalsh...@gmail.com (John Walsh)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.baseball.sf-giants
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2021 16:35:51 -1000
 by: John Walsh - Sat, 14 Aug 2021 02:35 UTC

On Fri, 13 Aug 2021 11:47:32 -0700, poldy <poldy@kfu.com> wrote:

>On 8/13/21 11:21 AM, John Walsh wrote:
>> East Coast bias much? Hardly a mention of the facts that the Giants
>> shut out the Rockies with a superb performance by Logan Webb, are
>> still the best team in MLB, still lead the West and at the time,
>> picked up another game on the Dodgers to widen their lead.
>>
>> Giants 7 Rockies 0
>>

>If they win the division with the best record, wouldn't they face the
>winner of the WC game?

They probably will, but I don't see that as much of a problem. They've
handled most teams very well this season. They might have some
pitching problems if the older pitchers start wearing out, but look
what Webb did yesterday. :)

>Dodgers would be the first WC team and currently the Padres are the
>second team but they could be caught by the Reds or Cards.

I think the Giants threw a massive psych on the Dodgers when they took
that last series from them. They're vulnerable when it comes to
pitching and relievers. They've lost games they shouldn't have lost
and it might get worse.

>So Giants might have to face the Dodgers in the first round.

Home or road, it does seem to matter to the Giants. They haven't
swooned, they just improved. Winning, coming from behind, the home
runs, I think that has instilled some special in the team.

>That would suck though Brewers could be a tough matchup too.

That's okay, they played them straigtht up last time, I'd give the
edge to the Giants.

>Ideally Dodgers would have to play the Brewers.

I'd love to see that!

>The team which wins the NL East would be weaker than maybe even the WC
>teams, though if the Mets get deGrom back, he'd probably could pitch 3
>games in a 7-game series.

The Mets get deGrom back, so what? He's likely to break down again
before the series if they play him. He's a great pitcher with a flawed
arm.

Re: Apparently the Giants didn't do much when they shut out the Rockies yesterday

<sfef5a$jf2$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=171&group=alt.sports.baseball.sf-giants#171

From: pol...@kfu.com (poldy)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.baseball.sf-giants
Rockies yesterday
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2021 12:43:36 -0700
 by: poldy - Mon, 16 Aug 2021 19:43 UTC

On 8/13/21 7:35 PM, John Walsh wrote:
>> Dodgers would be the first WC team and currently the Padres are the
>> second team but they could be caught by the Reds or Cards.
> I think the Giants threw a massive psych on the Dodgers when they took
> that last series from them. They're vulnerable when it comes to
> pitching and relievers. They've lost games they shouldn't have lost
> and it might get worse.
>
>> So Giants might have to face the Dodgers in the first round.
> Home or road, it does seem to matter to the Giants. They haven't
> swooned, they just improved. Winning, coming from behind, the home
> runs, I think that has instilled some special in the team.

Giants didn't face Kershaw or Betts. Or Seager who's back.

Dodgers have since gotten Turner and Scherzer.

They would be tougher than any other NL team, though Yelich is just
getting back for the Brewers.

I also think they'd be a lot tougher than they were the last time the
Giants played them.

I'd rather they face the Padres and have Tatis go off on them and beat them.

Re: Apparently the Giants didn't do much when they shut out the Rockies yesterday

<htsohg9i8qj3edi5eeqerj9757gup4n0jg@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=172&group=alt.sports.baseball.sf-giants#172

From: jwalsh...@gmail.com (John Walsh)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.baseball.sf-giants
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2021 16:47:01 -1000
 by: John Walsh - Wed, 18 Aug 2021 02:47 UTC

On Mon, 16 Aug 2021 12:43:36 -0700, poldy <poldy@kfu.com> wrote:

>On 8/13/21 7:35 PM, John Walsh wrote:
>>> Dodgers would be the first WC team and currently the Padres are the
>>> second team but they could be caught by the Reds or Cards.
>> I think the Giants threw a massive psych on the Dodgers when they took
>> that last series from them. They're vulnerable when it comes to
>> pitching and relievers. They've lost games they shouldn't have lost
>> and it might get worse.
>>
>>> So Giants might have to face the Dodgers in the first round.
>> Home or road, it does seem to matter to the Giants. They haven't
>> swooned, they just improved. Winning, coming from behind, the home
>> runs, I think that has instilled some special in the team.
>>

>Giants didn't face Kershaw or Betts. Or Seager who's back.
>

>Dodgers have since gotten Turner and Scherzer.
>
>They would be tougher than any other NL team, though Yelich is just
>getting back for the Brewers.
>

>I also think they'd be a lot tougher than they were the last time the
>Giants played them.
>
>I'd rather they face the Padres and have Tatis go off on them and beat them.

Once a team has played a couple of series against the Giants, you
would expect them to be tougher competition in the third. Even so, the
Giants haven't nose dived in any of the follow up series.

They've faced stronger teams in the second half and they've done well.
The Mets were supposed to be tough competition, but it looks like the
Giants can handle them, too.

Blowouts have been rare this year, as have the bullpen meltdowns. :)

sport / alt.sports.baseball.sf-giants / Re: Apparently the Giants didn't do much when they shut out the Rockies yesterday