Fundamentally, there may be no basis for anything.

tech / sci.electronics.design / Re: blame electronics

SubjectAuthor
* blame electronicsJohn Larkin
+* Re: blame electronicsBill Sloman
|`* Re: blame electronicsbitrex
| `* Re: blame electronicsLasse Langwadt
|  `* Re: blame electronicsCursitor Doom
|   `- Re: blame electronicsBill Sloman
`* Re: blame electronicsbitrex
 `* Re: blame electronicsJohn Larkin
  `- Re: blame electronicsBill Sloman

1
blame electronics

<mr0q2j5dtatai832876dbkcsji6mao6ugi@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=136495&group=sci.electronics.design#136495

From: jjSNIPla...@highNONOlandtechnology.com (John Larkin)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Subject: blame electronics
Date: Sat, 27 Apr 2024 06:56:05 -0700
 by: John Larkin - Sat, 27 Apr 2024 13:56 UTC

https://www.cnn.com/2024/04/26/opinions/opinion-the-cause-of-campus-chaos-zakaria/index.html

TV, and now cell phones.

Re: blame electronics

<v0j831$eucp$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=136499&group=sci.electronics.design#136499

From: bill.slo...@ieee.org (Bill Sloman)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Subject: Re: blame electronics
Date: Sun, 28 Apr 2024 02:11:09 +1000
 by: Bill Sloman - Sat, 27 Apr 2024 16:11 UTC

On 27/04/2024 11:56 pm, John Larkin wrote:

> https://www.cnn.com/2024/04/26/opinions/opinion-the-cause-of-campus-chaos-zakaria/index.html
>
> TV, and now cell phones.

But that isn't the problem.

The real problem is much the same as the change in the American diet
which has made Americans a lot fatter.

People who sell food have tweaked it so that the people who buy it buy
more of it - it doesn't matter the the manufacturers that their
customers get fatter and die younger.

People who sell opinions make their output more compelling rather than
more informative, because that enlarges their audience.

Being able to get stuff published in the New Yorker won't make you all
that rich. Becoming a star on Fox News is much more profitable - Tucker
Carlson is a depressing example.

John Larkin's enthusiasm for climate change denial reflects his
willingness to binge on the intellectual equivalent of junk food.

We need an intellectual equivalent of Ozempic - critical thinking in a
pill. Academic education is supposed to instill critical thinking, but
it didn't work on John, or Donald Trump.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney

Re: blame electronics

<662d2660$0$6559$882e4bbb@reader.netnews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=136500&group=sci.electronics.design#136500

Date: Sat, 27 Apr 2024 12:22:57 -0400
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
From: use...@example.net (bitrex)
 by: bitrex - Sat, 27 Apr 2024 16:22 UTC

On 4/27/2024 9:56 AM, John Larkin wrote:

> https://www.cnn.com/2024/04/26/opinions/opinion-the-cause-of-campus-chaos-zakaria/index.html
>
> TV, and now cell phones.

Hilarious how the WSJ-shithead claims that when thousands of students
are willing to be beaten and arrested en masse it implies they're "less
resilient and disengaged." Did Tienanmen Square need TikTok to happen?

The super-rich will say any nonsense to protect their interests and the
dividends of their gruesome wars. Fareed Zakaria, Douglas Belkin, the
WSJ and NYT just work for 'em.

One of the more amusing indie games in recent history, where you play
the editor of the NYT and have to keep the paper running while ensuring
the super-rich, the police, and the state of Israel are always satisfied
with the content:

<https://molleindustria.itch.io/the-new-york-times-simulator>

Re: blame electronics

<662d2a1a$0$6542$882e4bbb@reader.netnews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=136501&group=sci.electronics.design#136501

Date: Sat, 27 Apr 2024 12:38:50 -0400
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
From: use...@example.net (bitrex)
 by: bitrex - Sat, 27 Apr 2024 16:38 UTC

On 4/27/2024 12:11 PM, Bill Sloman wrote:
> On 27/04/2024 11:56 pm, John Larkin wrote:
>>
>> https://www.cnn.com/2024/04/26/opinions/opinion-the-cause-of-campus-chaos-zakaria/index.html
>>
>> TV, and now cell phones.
>
> But that isn't the problem.
>
> The real problem is much the same as the change in the American diet
> which has made Americans a lot fatter.
>
> People who sell food have tweaked it so that the people who buy it buy
> more of it - it doesn't matter the the manufacturers that their
> customers get fatter and die younger.
>
> People who sell opinions make their output more compelling rather than
> more informative, because that enlarges their audience.
>
> Being able to get stuff published in the New Yorker won't make you all
> that rich. Becoming a star on Fox News is much more profitable - Tucker
> Carlson is a depressing example.
>
> John Larkin's enthusiasm for climate change denial reflects his
> willingness to binge on the intellectual equivalent of junk food.
>
> We need an intellectual equivalent of Ozempic - critical thinking in a
> pill. Academic education is supposed to instill critical thinking, but
> it didn't work on John, or Donald Trump.

Even many US university students tend to be smart enough to notice that
the US seems to have endless money to fund foreign conflicts, but always
talks austerity when it comes to them and their future (or lack thereof.)

"Haha you'll never afford a home even with a college degree but here's
another $50 billion for Israel and Ukraine, and there'll be another $50
billion after that, and after that..."

There is plenty of "social capital" left among young people and
university students. But the powers-that-be do tend to get particularly
unhappy when a significant portion of it focuses into a beam pointed in
their direction.

Re: blame electronics

<v0jhvl$h4q7$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=136506&group=sci.electronics.design#136506

From: llc...@fonz.dk (Lasse Langwadt)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sat, 27 Apr 2024 21:00:05 +0200
 by: Lasse Langwadt - Sat, 27 Apr 2024 19:00 UTC

On 4/27/24 18:38, bitrex wrote:
> On 4/27/2024 12:11 PM, Bill Sloman wrote:
>> On 27/04/2024 11:56 pm, John Larkin wrote:
>>>
>>> https://www.cnn.com/2024/04/26/opinions/opinion-the-cause-of-campus-chaos-zakaria/index.html
>>>
>>> TV, and now cell phones.
>>
>> But that isn't the problem.
>>
>> The real problem is much the same as the change in the American diet
>> which has made Americans a lot fatter.
>>
>> People who sell food have tweaked it so that the people who buy it buy
>> more of it - it doesn't matter the the manufacturers that their
>> customers get fatter and die younger.
>>
>> People who sell opinions make their output more compelling rather than
>> more informative, because that enlarges their audience.
>>
>> Being able to get stuff published in the New Yorker won't make you all
>> that rich. Becoming a star on Fox News is much more profitable -
>> Tucker Carlson is a depressing example.
>>
>> John Larkin's enthusiasm for climate change denial reflects his
>> willingness to binge on the intellectual equivalent of junk food.
>>
>> We need an intellectual equivalent of Ozempic - critical thinking in a
>> pill. Academic education is supposed to instill critical thinking, but
>> it didn't work on John, or Donald Trump.
>

> Even many US university students tend to be smart enough to notice that
> the US seems to have endless money to fund foreign conflicts, but always
> talks austerity when it comes to them and their future (or lack thereof.)
>
> "Haha you'll never afford a home even with a college degree but here's
> another $50 billion for Israel and Ukraine, and there'll be another $50
> billion after that, and after that..."

$50 billion is chump change compared to the US budget

Re: blame electronics

<bovs2j9veooivfqg157atabkmtfke2j18l@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=136523&group=sci.electronics.design#136523

From: cd...@notformail.com (Cursitor Doom)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sun, 28 Apr 2024 18:01:21 +0100
 by: Cursitor Doom - Sun, 28 Apr 2024 17:01 UTC

On Sat, 27 Apr 2024 21:00:05 +0200, Lasse Langwadt <llc@fonz.dk>
wrote:

>On 4/27/24 18:38, bitrex wrote:

>>> But that isn't the problem.
>>>
>>> The real problem is much the same as the change in the American diet
>>> which has made Americans a lot fatter.
>>>
>>> People who sell food have tweaked it so that the people who buy it buy
>>> more of it - it doesn't matter the the manufacturers that their
>>> customers get fatter and die younger.
>>>
>>> People who sell opinions make their output more compelling rather than
>>> more informative, because that enlarges their audience.
>>>
>>> Being able to get stuff published in the New Yorker won't make you all
>>> that rich. Becoming a star on Fox News is much more profitable -
>>> Tucker Carlson is a depressing example.
>>>
>>> John Larkin's enthusiasm for climate change denial reflects his
>>> willingness to binge on the intellectual equivalent of junk food.
>>>
>>> We need an intellectual equivalent of Ozempic - critical thinking in a
>>> pill. Academic education is supposed to instill critical thinking, but
>>> it didn't work on John, or Donald Trump.
>>

>> Even many US university students tend to be smart enough to notice that
>> the US seems to have endless money to fund foreign conflicts, but always
>> talks austerity when it comes to them and their future (or lack thereof.)
>>
>> "Haha you'll never afford a home even with a college degree but here's
>> another $50 billion for Israel and Ukraine, and there'll be another $50
>> billion after that, and after that..."
>
>$50 billion is chump change compared to the US budget

It's not even chump change compared to the $1tn increase in the US
national debt every 100 days.
I have no idea what the thrust of the original article is suggesting.
I have no idea what Bitrex is bitching about, either. Sending money
for war purposes whilst ignoring domestic concerns is just what
Globalism is all about. Globalism is what Bitrex has always espoused
here, so why he's got his panties in a bunch I simply don't know.
Anyway, what's most important is that the horse in the photo hasn't
been provided with eye protection. All riot horses in the UK are fully
kitted-out with personal protection gear. I'd assumed it was the same
in the US but clearly it isn't. THAT issue at any rate, definitely
requires addressing.

Re: blame electronics

<t87t2jdlmdcl57fmfd6v9krppm5orq0b3j@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=136524&group=sci.electronics.design#136524

From: jjSNIPla...@highNONOlandtechnology.com (John Larkin)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sun, 28 Apr 2024 12:03:08 -0700
 by: John Larkin - Sun, 28 Apr 2024 19:03 UTC

On Sat, 27 Apr 2024 12:22:57 -0400, bitrex <user@example.net> wrote:

>On 4/27/2024 9:56 AM, John Larkin wrote:
>>
>> https://www.cnn.com/2024/04/26/opinions/opinion-the-cause-of-campus-chaos-zakaria/index.html
>>
>> TV, and now cell phones.
>>

>Hilarious how the WSJ-shithead claims that when thousands of students
>are willing to be beaten and arrested en masse it implies they're "less
>resilient and disengaged." Did Tienanmen Square need TikTok to happen?
>
>The super-rich will say any nonsense to protect their interests and the
>dividends of their gruesome wars. Fareed Zakaria, Douglas Belkin, the
>WSJ and NYT just work for 'em.
>
>One of the more amusing indie games in recent history, where you play
>the editor of the NYT and have to keep the paper running while ensuring
>the super-rich, the police, and the state of Israel are always satisfied
>with the content:
>
><https://molleindustria.itch.io/the-new-york-times-simulator>

One thing it's worth asking yourself, if more people were like me,
would the world be a better place?

Re: blame electronics

<v0nbon$1iftm$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=136525&group=sci.electronics.design#136525

From: bill.slo...@ieee.org (Bill Sloman)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2024 15:38:31 +1000
 by: Bill Sloman - Mon, 29 Apr 2024 05:38 UTC

On 29/04/2024 5:03 am, John Larkin wrote:
> On Sat, 27 Apr 2024 12:22:57 -0400, bitrex <user@example.net> wrote:
>
>> On 4/27/2024 9:56 AM, John Larkin wrote:
>>>
>>> https://www.cnn.com/2024/04/26/opinions/opinion-the-cause-of-campus-chaos-zakaria/index.html
>>>
>>> TV, and now cell phones.
>>>

>> Hilarious how the WSJ-shithead claims that when thousands of students
>> are willing to be beaten and arrested en masse it implies they're "less
>> resilient and disengaged." Did Tienanmen Square need TikTok to happen?
>>
>> The super-rich will say any nonsense to protect their interests and the
>> dividends of their gruesome wars. Fareed Zakaria, Douglas Belkin, the
>> WSJ and NYT just work for 'em.
>>
>> One of the more amusing indie games in recent history, where you play
>> the editor of the NYT and have to keep the paper running while ensuring
>> the super-rich, the police, and the state of Israel are always satisfied
>> with the content:
>>
>> <https://molleindustria.itch.io/the-new-york-times-simulator>
>
> One thing it's worth asking yourself, if more people were like me,
> would the world be a better place?

It isn't. There's no way that you can can generate an objectively
reliable estimate on your own effect on the world as a whole.

Anybody silly enough to ask the question has to live with the fact that
if you are that silly your effect on the world is bound to be negative.

In John Larkin's case, his enthusiasm for climate change denial
propaganda guarantees that his net effect on the world as a whole is
going to be negative.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney

Re: blame electronics

<v0qkcc$2e9mq$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=136534&group=sci.electronics.design#136534

From: bill.slo...@ieee.org (Bill Sloman)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2024 21:23:50 +1000
 by: Bill Sloman - Tue, 30 Apr 2024 11:23 UTC

On 29/04/2024 3:01 am, Cursitor Doom wrote:
> On Sat, 27 Apr 2024 21:00:05 +0200, Lasse Langwadt <llc@fonz.dk>
> wrote:

>>> Even many US university students tend to be smart enough to notice that
>>> the US seems to have endless money to fund foreign conflicts, but always
>>> talks austerity when it comes to them and their future (or lack thereof.)
>>>
>>> "Haha you'll never afford a home even with a college degree but here's
>>> another $50 billion for Israel and Ukraine, and there'll be another $50
>>> billion after that, and after that..."
>>
>> $50 billion is chump change compared to the US budget
>
> It's not even chump change compared to the $1tn increase in the US
> national debt every 100 days.
> I have no idea what the thrust of the original article is suggesting.
> I have no idea what Bitrex is bitching about, either. Sending money
> for war purposes whilst ignoring domestic concerns is just what
> Globalism is all about.

It isn't. Globalism is merely more international trade - it lets nations
specialise in making what they make best and trading those products with
other nations who have other skills.

Cursitor Doom associates it with the kinds of imaginary international
conspiracies that enrich his fantasy life, rather like my undergraduate
friends who thought that adobe haciendas were exotic (which they were)
and exciting, which mud-brick farm houses weren't, when I told them what
the Spanish phrase meant.

> Globalism is what Bitrex has always espoused here, so why he's got his panties in a bunch I simply don't know.

He knows what Globalism means in practice (and subsidising foreign wars
isn't any part the practical reality), while you don't.

> Anyway, what's most important is that the horse in the photo hasn't
> been provided with eye protection. All riot horses in the UK are fully
> kitted-out with personal protection gear. I'd assumed it was the same
> in the US but clearly it isn't. THAT issue at any rate, definitely
> requires addressing.

Getting horse used to wearing full personal protection gear takes time.
Americans do tend to want to do stuff in a hurry.

Horses can be skittish, as a handful of the Household cavalry showed in
London last week.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2024/apr/27/army-injured-horses-household-cavalry-london

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney

tech / sci.electronics.design / Re: blame electronics