From: ram...@zedat.fu-berlin.de (Stefan Ram)
Newsgroups: sci.lang
Subject: Technical linguistic lingo in a mainstream show
Date: 4 May 2024 13:17:00 GMT
 by: Stefan Ram - Sat, 4 May 2024 13:17 UTC

In the first ep of the fifth season of "Star Trek: Discovery"
this dude Fred was spittin' straight fire about phonology!

|But the bilabial nasal of "Moll" contrasted with the voiceless
|velar plosive of "L'ak".

When was the last time you heard that kind of technical linguistic
lingo in a mainstream show?

Re: Technical linguistic lingo in a mainstream show

<v18hus$1vr2v$5@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=18832&group=sci.lang#18832

From: HenHa...@devnull.tb (HenHanna)
Newsgroups: sci.lang,alt.usage.english,alt.fan.star-trek
Date: Sun, 5 May 2024 11:08:27 -0700
 by: HenHanna - Sun, 5 May 2024 18:08 UTC

On 5/4/2024 6:17 AM, Stefan Ram wrote:
> In the first ep of the fifth season of "Star Trek: Discovery"
> this dude Fred was spittin' straight fire about phonology!
>
> |But the bilabial nasal of "Moll" contrasted with the voiceless
> |velar plosive of "L'ak".
>
> When was the last time you heard that kind of technical linguistic
> lingo in a mainstream show?

By Star-Trek standards, that's not much of a Technobabble, is it?

tech / sci.lang / Technical linguistic lingo in a mainstream show