The Universe is populated by stable things. -- Richard Dawkins

tech / rec.aviation.soaring / IGCDroid Android IGC flight recorder is now free

SubjectAuthor
* IGCDroid Android IGC flight recorder is now freeAlan Walls
+* Re: IGCDroid Android IGC flight recorder is now freeTony
|`* Re: IGCDroid Android IGC flight recorder is now freeGlenn Betzoldt
| `* Re: IGCDroid Android IGC flight recorder is now freeRobert Hills
|  `* Re: IGCDroid Android IGC flight recorder is now freeMNLou
|   `- Re: IGCDroid Android IGC flight recorder is now freeAlan Walls
`- Re: IGCDroid Android IGC flight recorder is now freeSean Staines

1
IGCDroid Android IGC flight recorder is now free

<2953450a-e497-4120-a465-986eb8e65145n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=21177&group=rec.aviation.soaring#21177

Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Date: Mon, 24 May 2021 13:33:20 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: IGCDroid Android IGC flight recorder is now free
From: awa...@walls.net.nz (Alan Walls)
 by: Alan Walls - Mon, 24 May 2021 20:33 UTC

Hi All,
I'm the developer of IGCDroid. My mistake is your gain... IGCDroid is now free for everybody, forever. Enjoy.

For those that don't know, IGCDroid is a simple IGC flight recorder for your Android cell phone. Additionally, it allows real time flight tracking with either glideport.aero (aka SSA tracker) or skylines.aero web sites.

The remainder of this post is me venting at Google, nothing gliding related..

Google locked my developer payment account because I refused to give them a copy of my passport... Google wanted my passport details to satisfy Brazilian legal sales requirements. OK, so I turned off sales to Brazil. Not ideal, but it is Brazilian law. Not good enough as Google has already sold to a customer in Brazil. OK. so please refund that customer's purchase. Sorry, we can't do that and we will keep your payment account locked until you send us your passport details.

So the current situation is Google is block all purchases (not that I have much) from anywhere in the world for any apps I develop until I send them my Passport details. All this because I mistakenly left Brazil on my "sell to" list. To me this feels like extortion.

So from now on, Google gets no more app store money from me. Enjoy.

Thanks for listening to by rant.
Alan

Re: IGCDroid Android IGC flight recorder is now free

<64ebffda-9049-43e7-a7d7-e6ef626c42e2n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=21178&group=rec.aviation.soaring#21178

Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Date: Mon, 24 May 2021 14:20:41 -0700 (PDT)
From: abcon...@gmail.com (Tony)
 by: Tony - Mon, 24 May 2021 21:20 UTC

On Monday, May 24, 2021 at 3:33:22 PM UTC-5, Alan Walls wrote:
> Hi All,
> I'm the developer of IGCDroid. My mistake is your gain... IGCDroid is now free for everybody, forever. Enjoy.
>
> For those that don't know, IGCDroid is a simple IGC flight recorder for your Android cell phone. Additionally, it allows real time flight tracking with either glideport.aero (aka SSA tracker) or skylines.aero web sites.
>

> The remainder of this post is me venting at Google, nothing gliding related.
>
> Google locked my developer payment account because I refused to give them a copy of my passport... Google wanted my passport details to satisfy Brazilian legal sales requirements. OK, so I turned off sales to Brazil. Not ideal, but it is Brazilian law. Not good enough as Google has already sold to a customer in Brazil. OK. so please refund that customer's purchase. Sorry, we can't do that and we will keep your payment account locked until you send us your passport details.
>
> So the current situation is Google is block all purchases (not that I have much) from anywhere in the world for any apps I develop until I send them my Passport details. All this because I mistakenly left Brazil on my "sell to" list. To me this feels like extortion.
>
> So from now on, Google gets no more app store money from me. Enjoy.
>
> Thanks for listening to by rant.
> Alan
Alan,

I'm sorry about the situation but I want you to know that your contribution to the sport with this app has been wonderful!

Leah and many of my friends/family members love following along with my flights. It's a great way to share the experience.

Your Skew-T app is also my go-to first look for most of my weather briefings, whether that be powered or unpowered flight.

Re: IGCDroid Android IGC flight recorder is now free

<686b964a-f993-4c71-874c-e2df518b8603n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=21179&group=rec.aviation.soaring#21179

Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Date: Mon, 24 May 2021 14:54:42 -0700 (PDT)
From: discus...@gmail.com (Glenn Betzoldt)
 by: Glenn Betzoldt - Mon, 24 May 2021 21:54 UTC

On Monday, May 24, 2021 at 5:20:44 PM UTC-4, Tony wrote:
> On Monday, May 24, 2021 at 3:33:22 PM UTC-5, Alan Walls wrote:
> > Hi All,
> > I'm the developer of IGCDroid. My mistake is your gain... IGCDroid is now free for everybody, forever. Enjoy.
> >
> > For those that don't know, IGCDroid is a simple IGC flight recorder for your Android cell phone. Additionally, it allows real time flight tracking with either glideport.aero (aka SSA tracker) or skylines.aero web sites.
> >

> > The remainder of this post is me venting at Google, nothing gliding related.
> >
> > Google locked my developer payment account because I refused to give them a copy of my passport... Google wanted my passport details to satisfy Brazilian legal sales requirements. OK, so I turned off sales to Brazil. Not ideal, but it is Brazilian law. Not good enough as Google has already sold to a customer in Brazil. OK. so please refund that customer's purchase. Sorry, we can't do that and we will keep your payment account locked until you send us your passport details.
> >
> > So the current situation is Google is block all purchases (not that I have much) from anywhere in the world for any apps I develop until I send them my Passport details. All this because I mistakenly left Brazil on my "sell to" list. To me this feels like extortion.
> >
> > So from now on, Google gets no more app store money from me. Enjoy.
> >
> > Thanks for listening to by rant.
> > Alan
> Alan,
>
> I'm sorry about the situation but I want you to know that your contribution to the sport with this app has been wonderful!
>
> Leah and many of my friends/family members love following along with my flights. It's a great way to share the experience.
>
> Your Skew-T app is also my go-to first look for most of my weather briefings, whether that be powered or unpowered flight.
Change Leah to Laura and I go with what Tony said.
GB

Re: IGCDroid Android IGC flight recorder is now free

<8e769591-140e-4b05-a41a-bd9748ca3170n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=21192&group=rec.aviation.soaring#21192

Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Date: Tue, 25 May 2021 11:17:06 -0700 (PDT)
From: rhi...@hayward.com (Robert Hills)
 by: Robert Hills - Tue, 25 May 2021 18:17 UTC

Thanks Alan.
I use your app all the time and think it is great. Thanks too for all the timely support that you have provided.

Bob 7U

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This electronic message is intended to be viewed
only by the individual or entity to whom it is addressed. It may contain

Re: IGCDroid Android IGC flight recorder is now free

<2c4a3f59-3b82-438a-846e-3bfb3ecf1892n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=21193&group=rec.aviation.soaring#21193

Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Date: Tue, 25 May 2021 13:06:21 -0700 (PDT)
From: lou.chou...@gmail.com (MNLou)
 by: MNLou - Tue, 25 May 2021 20:06 UTC

What Bob said!

Lou

Re: IGCDroid Android IGC flight recorder is now free

<09750f29-5a0b-4f7b-981f-7385627e6c9en@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=21195&group=rec.aviation.soaring#21195

Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Date: Tue, 25 May 2021 13:50:34 -0700 (PDT)
From: awa...@walls.net.nz (Alan Walls)
 by: Alan Walls - Tue, 25 May 2021 20:50 UTC

Thanks team, I appreciate your support and glad you find it useful. I hope this encourages more people to give it a try. email me if you have trouble so I can make it better for everybody.

No payments it not really an issue, its more a matter of principle. I was already considering removing the payments, this just made it happen faster. Apps in small niche markets don't make money. It has made enough money to keep its email relay server up and running and pay for a few glider tows so I'm happy.

Re: IGCDroid Android IGC flight recorder is now free

<a00c589e-a0fb-40b9-b73f-a4910a70c9e5n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=34414&group=rec.aviation.soaring#34414

Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2024 05:10:42 -0800 (PST)
From: seanstai...@gmail.com (Sean Staines)
 by: Sean Staines - Tue, 6 Feb 2024 13:10 UTC

Hi Alan,
Is there anychance you could update hte app to support livetrack24 for live tracking?

tech / rec.aviation.soaring / IGCDroid Android IGC flight recorder is now free