From: her...@is.invalid (JAB)
Newsgroups: misc.news.internet.discuss,sci.misc
Subject: Cold fusion
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2023 19:34:50 -0500
 by: JAB - Fri, 18 Aug 2023 00:34 UTC

Cold fusion is making a scientific comeback

Earlier this year, ARPA-E, a US government agency dedicated to funding
advanced energy research, announced a handful of grants for a field it
calls "low-energy nuclear reactions," or LENR. Most scientists likely
didn't take notice of the news. But, for a small group of them, the
announcement marked vindication for their specialty: cold fusion.

Cold fusion, better known by its practitioners as LENR, is the
science--or, perhaps, the art--of making atomic nuclei merge and,
ideally, harnessing the resultant energy. All of this happens without
the incredible temperatures, on the scale of millions of degrees, that
you need for "traditional" fusion. In a dream world, successful cold
fusion could provide us with a boundless supply of clean, easily
attainable energy.

https://www.popsci.com/science/cold-fusion-low-energy-nuclear-reaction/

Re: Cold fusion

<20230826113342.9698eb892d75fe3bcf94cade@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=28&group=sci.misc#28

From: adm...@127.0.0.1 (Kerr-Mudd, John)
Newsgroups: misc.news.internet.discuss,sci.misc
Subject: Re: Cold fusion
Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2023 11:33:42 +0100
 by: Kerr-Mudd, John - Sat, 26 Aug 2023 10:33 UTC

On Thu, 17 Aug 2023 19:34:50 -0500
JAB <here@is.invalid> wrote:

> Cold fusion is making a scientific comeback
>
> Earlier this year, ARPA-E, a US government agency dedicated to funding
> advanced energy research, announced a handful of grants for a field it
> calls "low-energy nuclear reactions," or LENR. Most scientists likely
> didn't take notice of the news. But, for a small group of them, the
> announcement marked vindication for their specialty: cold fusion.

Not really, just that someone's willing to chck some money at a vague
hope.

> Cold fusion, better known by its practitioners as LENR, is the
> science--or, perhaps, the art--of making atomic nuclei merge and,
> ideally, harnessing the resultant energy. All of this happens without
> the incredible temperatures, on the scale of millions of degrees, that
> you need for "traditional" fusion. In a dream world, successful cold
> fusion could provide us with a boundless supply of clean, easily
> attainable energy.
>
> https://www.popsci.com/science/cold-fusion-low-energy-nuclear-reaction/

try
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cold_fusion#Criticism
instead.

--
Bah, and indeed Humbug.

Re: Cold fusion

<uccp5v$igkn$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=29&group=sci.misc#29

From: her...@is.invalid (JAB)
Newsgroups: misc.news.internet.discuss,sci.misc
Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2023 06:54:38 -0500
 by: JAB - Sat, 26 Aug 2023 11:54 UTC

On Sat, 26 Aug 2023 11:33:42 +0100, "Kerr-Mudd, John"
<admin@127.0.0.1> wrote:

>> Cold fusion is making a scientific comeback

>Not really, just that someone's willing to chck some money at a vague
>hope.

I don't believe this method will be practical, but there might be
something there to understand.

Scientific naysayers have eaten lots of crow....

It's possible atomic structures can "break down or rearrange" in some
manner with some heat being produced if the right conditions exist.
Electrons have orbital paths, but when a change in path happens, a
photon (heat) can be released. I don't believe atomic forces are
fully understood.

tech / sci.misc / Re: Cold fusion